Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Blocking my clients from connecting to neighbors AP's

In my unified wireless network i have WCS, WLC 4402 and 6 LWAP, we have neighbore company, and some of our employess try to connect to their AP's, is there any way to block my employess using WLC and WCS from establishing a connection to the neighbores AP's

1 REPLY
Green

Re: Blocking my clients from connecting to neighbors AP's

Unfortunately, we're taliking radio here; if the resources are available, there's no way to control who the clients can connect to (unless you have absolute control over the clients).

You can (usually) set the client software to "prefer" specific APs ... but if the user can change the parameters, they can point the client to another AP.

You can do a survey (something like NetStumbler - www.netstumbler.com), find out who they are connecting to / poaching the signal from, and talk to them about enhancing their security.

As in security, the absolute minimum foundation is a POLICY, on paper, acknowledged by the employee and strictly enforced ... by termination, if necessary.

The policy would be along the lines of "Anyone found to be connecting to networks other than this company's will be immediately terminated." The grounds for the policy, aside from just comon sense security of your company's assets / Intellectual property, is the potential liability of the other company (the one whose signal is being poached) finding out and charging / sueing / fileing a complaint with someone official that you are stealing their resources, or waging some sort of industrial espionage against them (not likely, of course, but still bad PR).

Prevention will have to take the form of monitoring the client traffic, locating violations of policies, and enforcing those policies.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies