cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bootable files

matthogue
Level 1
Level 1

So I have done it. AP1200 series Access Point is Dead.

When attempting to upgrade the firmware, a few problems arose and the set BOOT command could not locate the file properly. So the JA3 file was deleted. And now there are no bootable files on the AP. Is there a fix for this, since there is no way to tftp a new firmware version into the AP. When trying to copy tftp sys, it says I have no permission. Does this require a return to Cisco, or is there a way for me to enable tftp to update the firmware correctly?

Thanks for any help, and I hope everyone is not laughing to hard at the fact that I have killed an Access Point.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Matt,

With what you described it doesn't sound like the AP ever even found the tftp server (download takes about 0 seconds). Can you have a look at the tftp server log when you try do this and see what it says? No firewall on the pc preventing this?

Let us know... Rob

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Matt,

I think this happened to most of us at one time or another:) Have you tried this recovery method using the mode button?

Have a look at the method outlined below:

Using the MODE button

You can use the MODE button on 1100 and 1200 series access points to reload the access point image file from an active Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) server on your network or on a PC connected to the access point Ethernet port.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note If your access point experiences a firmware failure or a corrupt firmware image, indicated by three red LED indicators, you must reload the image from a connected TFTP server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note This process resets all configuration settings to factory defaults, including passwords, WEP keys, the access point IP address, and SSIDs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow these steps to reload the access point image file:

Step 1 The PC you intend to use must be configured with a static IP address in the range of 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1100-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1100-k9w7-tar.default for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point.

Step 4 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 5 Disconnect power (the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for in-line power) from the access point.

Step 6 Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds), and release the MODE button.

Step 8 Wait until the access point reboots as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 9 After the access point reboots, you must reconfigure the access point by using the Web-browser interface or the CLI.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080209250.html#wp1040300

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Rob,

Thank you for your effort. I had not tried this method, but unfortunately it did not work. After perfroming the steps outlined, the AP booted up with the top and bottom lights being solid red and the middle LED solid green. I cannot access the AP through a command prompt or the browser, only through a console cable. There is connectivity through the ethernet cable, because the link comes up once the AP is rebooted. I am using a POE injector, if it matters.

The info that displays on the hyperterm session after I release the MODE button and the Ap is beginnning its boot process is:

"image_recovery: Download default IOS tar image tftp://255.255.255.255/c12-k9w7-tar.drfault

examining image...

%Error opening flash:/update/info (no such file or directory)

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive. download takes about 0 seconds.

The system is unable to boot automatically because there are no bootable files to boot."

Laptop is set to 10.0.0.5, which is being shown on the tftp server once the AP has booted up. The filename of the firmware is c1200-k9w7-tar.default, however when i changed the name of the original .tar file, it said that it may not work properly. I guess that could have something to do with it, but that was the instructions given.

I have the tftp server on my laptop and it is configured for the location where the firmware file is, and for the correct interface IP; 10.0.0.5.

Any continued or new help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

With what you described it doesn't sound like the AP ever even found the tftp server (download takes about 0 seconds). Can you have a look at the tftp server log when you try do this and see what it says? No firewall on the pc preventing this?

Let us know... Rob

Hi Rob, I have the same issue that Matt had. My AP is seeing the tftp but it's not downloading the file. Here is the error:

Connection received from 10.0.0.1 on port 1024 [30/08 15:54:01.302]

Read request for file . Mode octet [30/08 15:54:01.302]

File : error 5 in system call CreateFile Access is denied. [30/08 15:54:01.302]

Any help would be appreciated; I see Matt got his working, congrats!

jim

Hi Jim,

Looks like you are a least half way there, which is good. It looks like a permissions issue with the TFTP Server(perhaps you could try a different one for a quick test). Have a look at the following info;

Working with Software Images

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo1100/accsspts/i1232ja/i1232sc/s32mfw.htm#wp1035507

This excellent post from Stephen @ Cisco;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=General&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc03c4/2#selected_message

Also, have a look at this thread that has a link for Solarwinds TFTP Server (free download);

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Getting%20Started%20with%20Wireless&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddc06b8

Let us know if this gets you any further along the road.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob, I really appreciate the help.

I have tried a different tftp server (pc) that has has been in use for a while and had the same results.

Idid download and install the SolarWinds tftp.

I get an error on it saying the file does not exist.

I did notice in the directory of both of my tftp's the file is shown as:

c1200-k-9w7-tar.default.tar

I know tar is the Winzip ext. and I noticed it mentioned in another post.

I unzipped it in the TFTP Root as well, but it still is not working. :(

Hey Jim,

No worries! Can you try changing the filename in the directory and then try this again;

From - c1200-k-9w7-tar.default.tar

To - c1200-k-9w7-tar.default

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hey Rob,

Thanks for your help, I got it figured out.

I needed to uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" on my TFTP so that my file name change to worked correctly.

THX again!

Jim

Rob,

After rebooting my laptop and having the AP disconnected for a while, I attempted the procedures specified above once again. This time, SUCCESS!!! I am not sure what happened this morning, but after removing myself from it and trying again with fresh connections, all is well. Thanks for your support and help.

Check my other post, maybe you can help with it. It concerns difficulty upgrading the firmware through the GUI.

Thanks again,

Matt

Hello

I have the same problem but I have an Cisco Aironet 350, what can I do? Does anyone has an idea ?

thanks

Hi' I have a similar problem, when I power up my AP1131, the boot sequence stop at the prompt "AP:" and ask to manually enter "boot"

How can I make my AP1131 to boot automaticly ?

Thanks !

Hi Francis,

Have you tried this?

Using the CLI

Enter the set BOOT command to designate the new image as the image that the access point uses when it reboots. The access point creates a directory for the image that has the same name as the image, and you must include the directory in the command. Your entry might look like this example:

ap: set BOOT flash:/c1200-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1/c1200-k9w7-mx.122-13.JA1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080209250.html#wp1048390

Hope this helps!

Rob

I have a problem similar to the above on a 1131ag Access point on recycle it stops and makes me maunually type BOOT at the ap: prompt

----------VVVVVVVVVVVVV----------------

ap: Xmodem file system is available.

flashfs[0]: 282 files, 13 directories

flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories

flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 15998976

flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 9497088

flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 6501888

flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 33 seconds.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:12:d9:2b:39:0c

Initializing ethernet port 0...

Reset ethernet port 0...

Reset done!

ethernet link up, 100 mbps, full-duplex

Ethernet port 0 initialized: link is up

The system is not configured to boot automatically. The

following command will finish loading the operating system

software:

boot

C1130 Boot Loader (C1130-BOOT-M) Version 12.3(2)JA, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Compiled Mon 08-Nov-04 12:40 by ccai

[I have to type "boot" here to load system]

ap: boot

Loading "flash:/c1130-k9w7-mx.123-7.JA4/c1130-k9w7-mx.123-7.JA4"...#############

File "flash:/c1130-k9w7-mx.123-7.JA4/c1130-k9w7-mx.123-7.JA4" uncompressed and 0

executing...

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is

subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph

(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted

Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph

(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer

Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.

170 West Tasman Drive

San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco IOS Software, C1130 Software (C1130-K9W7-M), Version 12.3(7)JA4, RELEASE )

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 05-Sep-06 14:14 by alnguyen

Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00683F60

Initializing flashfs...

flashfs[1]: 282 files, 13 directories

flashfs[1]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories

flashfs[1]: Total bytes: 15998976

flashfs[1]: Bytes used: 9497088

flashfs[1]: Bytes available: 6501888

flashfs[1]: flashfs fsck took 4 seconds.

flashfs[1]: Initialization complete....done Initializing flashfs.

[Legal notes removed]

cisco AIR-AP1131AG-A-K9 (PowerPCElvis) processor (revision B0) with 24566K/8.

Processor board ID FOC08514JMF

PowerPCElvis CPU at 262Mhz, revision number 0x0950

Last reset from power-on

1 FastEthernet interface

2 802.11 Radio(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:12:D9:2B:39:0C

Part Number : 73-8962-06

PCA Assembly Number : 800-24818-06

PCA Revision Number : B0

PCB Serial Number : FOC08514JMF

Top Assembly Part Number : 800-25544-01

Top Assembly Serial Number : FTX0909T049

Top Revision Number : A0

Product/Model Number : AIR-AP1131AG-A-K9

-----------^^^^^^^^^^^^------------------

I have already performed the ap: set BOOT etc commands a dozen times with the same results.

It says: The system is not configured to boot automatically.

I've been trying to get this one going for 4 months now..it was knocked out during a power outage while upgrading it.

Hi There.

I have been having the similar problem.

This is the command I have been entering :-

ap: tar -xtract tftp://10.41.66.192/Pumk/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEA flash:

tftp://10.41.66.192/Pumk/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEA: invalid argument

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: