Views
Helpful
Replies

Br 1300 - Antenna

killianperotin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem with a br1300 wifi system. I have it in a small window and just all the antenna is outdoor. When i have the aluminum piece behind the antenna, i have 5.5 Mb but if i don't put it behind the antenna, i have 54 Mb. I don't understand because we have a lot of that system. Maybe it 's because we have a small opening in the windows. I send you a small drawing to explain our problem.

Thanks for all,

4 Replies 4

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Depending on the type of building material making the window, or surrounding the window, it could be interfering with the physics of concentrating the RF in the forward direction.

The design of a Yagi is fairly specific in that the radiator, the reflectors (the elements behind the radiator), and the directors (the elements in front of the radiator) are all sized according to a formula for the given band of frequencies.

With a wavelength of 5" or so, anything with a high acceptance (like ferrous metals) or with high reluctance (like aluminum) within one or two wavelengths will greatly deform the pattern, and probably kill much of the gain of the antenna.

With the reflector beyond the window, the pattern of the antenna would not be quite so influenced; there isn't much energy there, aside from a very small minor lobe.

A photograph would help, the drawing is OK, but without dimensions, we can still only speculate.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi,

Thanks for informations. I send a photograph to show you how our system is install. you can show where the problem is.

Thanks.

Hello,

Nobody can help me. I wait for informations.

Thanks.

Killian

Killian

The main problem is you antennas are not mounted vertically or horizontalty to match the orientation of the transmitting antenna.

All radio signals are polarized by the trans mitting antenna, usually verticaly for 802.11, if your recieving antenna is not oriented the same you connection will be less than good.

while your mounting of hte antennas is sturdy they need to be mounted wint the cable pointed to the ground making them vertical. use some velcro to stick the antennas to the window for a test.

HTH

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card