cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Br350 Connectivity problem

Shinyaw Chua
Level 1
Level 1

I have one Br350 set up as a 'Root Bridge' connected to LAN A core network and the other as a 'Non-Root Bridge w/Clients' connected to LAN B remote LAN, only SSID is configured .

The non-root bridge at LAN B connected to DECRepeater 90TS(confirm good unit) and the root bridge at LAN A connected to switch, the connectivity between LAN A and LAN B is working Ok for a time, then the communication stops between LAN A and LAN B, the symptoms occur almost every day.

When the communication lost occur , the 'Ethernet Activity' LED of the non root bridge starts blinking RED/GREEN and not in any form of pattern, the root bridge LED is normal, the association between two bridge is OK, when I perform a radio link test at the non root bridge, I do not see any radio packet transmitted or received any packet, the signal strength is 0%. The console message seen ok, do not have any warning or fatal message

When I remove the Ant, the Eth LED blinking in green only, of course the association fail, power cycle the non root bridge at LAN B and problem resolve for temporary.

When I replace the HUB at LAN B with switch, the same symptoms occur every 10 to 15 days.

When I change the root bridge at LAN A to non root bridge and the non root bridge at LAN B to root bridge, now the problem still happen at LAN B and new message appear at console of the root bridge at LAN B

The message is “Failed to allocate packet to 004096589763 for "Authentication" on port "awc0", this look like a buffer problem.

Of course I have swapped the units at LAN B and I have tried on FW 11.07, 11.21 and 11,23T

Thanks for any contribution and suggestion

Regards

Shinyaw

7 Replies 7

d.nogueira
Level 1
Level 1

If I understood correctly you say that when communication is lost the signal strength is 0%, your problem could be interference. Try using the carrier test when there is loss of communication and see if the channel you are using is free, if not try another.

Hello,

Thank for the response, I have tried different channel(at least 6 or 7 ), and I have used the utility to search for the best channel.

Thanks

Shinyaw

Reading through your first message you say that with the replacement of the hub by a switch on lan B made the problem occur less frequently. Could it be that you having data storms on lan B ? If the frequency of the problem was reduced by the switch and you have replaced the bridges then it must be something on lan B that is causing it. I would certainly start looking there for problems.

I have used sniffer to check, the utilization is very low, say less than 1%, the LAN B is not currently in production, the utilization should be low, and no broadcast or data storms.

Regards

Shinyaw

Well it's not easy to troubleshoot from a distance and I am running out of ideas but have you considered a power problem ( bad earthing, industrial noise, etc ) ?? I certainly have had quite a few problems with that. A good test would probably be connecting the bridge to lan B using a small strand of fiber.

This is shipyard enviroment, I have considered the option, because I need to get a power monitoring tool,

however many thanks for the input.

regards

Shinyaw

I have a rather big wireless lan installed at a ship dock and I have had some trouble with the bridges and Ap's not on a UPS. Sometimes a bridge or an Ap crashes and the only solution is to reset the power. Now they are going to put all the units on UPS. In your case things could be worse , pay special atention to the welding equipments. Shipyards tend to have quite a few of those.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card