Views
Helpful
Replies

Branch Guest Access (HREAP)

Javi Benito
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have WLC5500 series in headquarters and several branch offices. I have configured in headquarters a wlan for employees and another wlan for guest users.

In the branch offices I have configured wlan for employees and now I´m trying to configure wlan for guest users in one of this bran offices.

I´ve already created vlan for guest users (vlan 10) in the switches and I´ve assigned a new port from the Cisco ASA in the branch office for this vlan with a DHCP server (10.7.7.0/24).

Then, I have created a dynamic interface in WLC with the same vlan id number than in the remote guest vlan (10) and I have assigned to this dynamic interface an ip address (10.7.7.3) and a dhcp server 10.7.7.1 (guest interface from cisco asa in branch office).

After this, I have created wlan with webauth and HREAP.

When i try to connect one remote computer to this wlan, it´s connect to wlan but the ip address the is assigned to this laptop is from employees network and not from guest network.

Would be possible this configuration ? .Could you assist me to solve this issue?

Thanks im advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In the h-reap ap, there is a tab for h-reap. In there you specify the native vlan and then you can specify the SSID vlan mapping. The port the ap is connected to needs to be a trunk port also.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In the h-reap ap, there is a tab for h-reap. In there you specify the native vlan and then you can specify the SSID vlan mapping. The port the ap is connected to needs to be a trunk port also.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Hello Scott,

I´m going to check it.

Thanks for your help

Javi,

You do not need a dynamic interface on the wlc if you are wanting to place users on the local (remote) subnet. That is where the vlan mapping in the h-reap ap comes into play. It your SSID is not set to local switching, then the traffic is tunneled back to the wlc and then you would need the dynamic interface on the wlc. In order to use a subnet at the remote site, you need h-reap local switching checked on the WLAN SSID advanced tab. This gives you the option of setting the said to vlan mapping.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Then, In the general Wlan tab where I have to put the interface. Which interface should i configure? management?

Regards,

Javi

If you have AP's in local mode like in your HQ, then you would used that dynamic interface. For h-reap AP's, the SSID mapping is used.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

ahh ok, then if I have not any wlan in local mode in this AP, this option, we could say that is disabled or it´s not used.

Correct...

Most of the time you would see AP's in local mode because a company has AP's in the same building as where the WLC is located. This is where you would use the interface on the WLAN SSID tab. Then companies want to cover remote sites without having to purchase more WLCs for each site. These AP's would be configured for h-reap mode. Now depending if you want to tunnel traffic back (h-reap local switching disabled) or drop traffic off at the remote site (h-reap local switching enabled), it your choice. AP's in local mode are connected to an access port while h-reap AP's are on a dot1q trunk.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Ok, good explanation. I´ll chek it tomorrow.

Thanks for your help

Javi Benito
Level 1
Level 1

Perfect!! Works fine!!

Thanks

Javi,

Glad it worked:)

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card