cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bridge to bridge and bridge to access-point is it possible

sebastan_bach
Level 4
Level 4

here;s my topology i am trying to configure. i have a router whose ethernet is connected to a bridge.this bridge 1 is connected to a bridge 2 via wireless. now i am trying to connect a access-point via wireless to this bridge2. is it possible for bridge 2 to support connectivity to the bridge1 and the access-point both of them via wireless.

can someone pls help me on this.

waiting for someone to reply.

regards

8 Replies 8

robert.wright
Level 1
Level 1

what you want to research is point to multi-point.

Paul Webster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dear friend, I need to know what type of AP are you using an what type of bridge also.

By the mean time you can check out this information

http://cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps4076/c2001/ccmigration_09186a0080606a87.pdf

Hope it Helps......

PAWP

Paul Webster
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dear friend, I need to know what type of AP are you using an what type of bridge also.

By the mean time you can check out this information

http://cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps4076/c2001/ccmigration_09186a0080606a87.pdf

Hope it Helps......

PAWP

d.beaver
Level 1
Level 1

I have done this very thing. You will need to have a cross-over cable between your non-root bridge and the access point. I have two locations where I have things working this way and it works fine. I've added a picture in .gif format so you can see how I hooked it up and the IP addressing I used.

Good luck getting it going.

I must also add that I had the access point plugged into a wall socket as the non-root bridge will obviously not supply Power over Ethernet. I thought I should mention that.

hi all sorry for the delayed reply.

i have 2 1231G access-points.

i want this kind of setup. ap1 and ap2 i want both the access-points to work as bridges. at the same time i want access-point1 to work as a access-point for wireless clients in my lan supporting 802.1x authentication and all. is it possible. can someone pls help me on this. i am new to wireless.

waiting for ur reply.

regards

sebastan

Take a look at my suggested config below. The first accesspoint will broadcast a SSID for clients and use a different SSID for the bridge. This setup has no 802.1x mechanism yet, but you can add that later. For the topology see PtoPLinkExample.gif posted earlier.

----- Accesspoint 1 --------------

dot11 ssid bridge

authentication open

!

dot11 ssid WiFiNet

authentication open

guest-mode

!

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid bridge

!

ssid WiFiNet

!

----- Accesspoint 2 --------------

dot11 ssid bridge

authentication open

!

interface Dot11Radio0

parent 1

!

ssid bridge

!

station-role workgroup-bridge

----- Accesspoint 3 --------------

dot11 ssid WiFiNet

authentication open

guest-mode

!

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid WiFiNet

!

hi thanks for ur reply buddy. so u mean to say the topology i am looking for is possible right. pls confirm on the same i am new to wireless. thanks a lot once again.

regards

sebastan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card