cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast SSID and roaming between APs

stevecullen
Level 1
Level 1

When I initially setup my APs I was told that broadcast SSID had to be on for machines to roam between APs. Now I would really like to turn off the broadcast. Anyone running without broadcast and roaming ok?

2 Replies 2

markwiseley
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have broadcast SSID turned off and have for over 6 months. We roam between access points on a regular basis and have had no problems. The clients know what the SSID is and therefore they send a broadcast with the SSID and the AP responds. You should not have any problems turning off broadcasting SSID as long as the SSID is configured on the clients.

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

Broadcast SSID is evil. Unless you want to operate a 'Hot Spot'.

Turn it off and don't look back. You'll hear from any user that doesn't have the right SSID set for their machine very soon.

Do realize that SSID alone will not protect you, though. Anyone with the right software tool can still grab the SSID out of the air, so please consider WEP or other encryption and authentication services.

Matthew Wheeler

Blue Modal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card