cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can AIR-AP521G-x-K9 be controlled by the Cisco 526 Mobility controller ?

pakmanhon
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to buy a AIR-AP521G-x-K9 with IOS software which is a stand alone access point.

However, later on I may buy a Cisco 526 Wireless Express Mobility controller in order to expand my wireless network.

As I know at that moment I need to buy light weight AIR-LAP521G-x-K9 instead of AIR-AP521G-x-K9

However I want to know if the stand alone AIR-AP521G-x-K9 can be control by the mobility controller without doing any change to the AIR-AP521G-x-K9 ?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Pak,

The AIR-AP521G can be converted to Controller based mode via software upgrade so your investment is protected should you decide down the road to switch to Controller based. Have a look***;

Q. Which access point products are included in the Cisco Mobility Express Solution?

A. Two Cisco 500 Series Wireless Express Access Point products are in the Cisco Mobility Express Solution; their part numbers follow:

AIR-AP521G-x-K9 (standalone access point)

AIR-LAP521G-x-K9 (controller-based access point)

The hardware for these products is the same. The products have different software,*** but the access points can be converted from standalone mode to the controller-based mode with a simple software upgrade.

Up to three access points can be managed by Cisco Configuration Assistant. More than three access points in the network requires the controller as well.

From this good Q & A doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7319/products_qanda_item0900aecd8060c860.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

thank you so much

Hi Rob,

Do you know if it's possible to downgrade the AIR-LAP521G-x-K9 to a AIR-AP521G-x-K9

to use it as a stand alone acces point.

Thanks in advance,

Bastiaan van Utrecht

Hi Bastiaan,

I believe that this is a "one way" only type conversion;

Using CCA to Convert an AP521 Access Point

CCA can be used to convert an AP521 access point into a lightweight LAP521 access point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution The CCA conversion process is a one-way process. CCA can only convert an AP521 into an LAP521. CCA cannot reconvert an access point back to autonomous operation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/526/1.5/configuration/guide/A2_aap.html#wp1013636

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Bad luck for me.

Anyway thans for your quick response

Regards,

Bastiaan van Utrecht

Hi Bastiaan,

You are very welcome :) If I ever come up with a solution I will post back.

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card