cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i change1815w firmware from capwap to mobility express without air-consadpt?

Gorik
Level 1
Level 1

I've bought 3 1815w CAPWAP version. Want to upgrade it to mobility express.

The main question is - can i make it without air-consadpt?? I can't find it anywhere...

And the other 2 questions:

1) should i change firmware for all 3 ap's?

2) there is 2 versions of firmware:

Cisco 1815 Series Mobility Express Release 8.6 Software,to be used for conversion from Lightweight Access Points only.  AIR-AP1815-K9-ME-8-6-101-0.tar

and

Cisco 1815 Series Mobility Express Release 8.6 Software. Access Point image bundle, to be used for software update and/or supported access points images. AIR-AP1815-K9-ME-8-6-101-0.zip

i think i need the second one - right?

7 Replies 7

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

In the console of one of them try typing in ap-type mobility-express and press enter. If it reloads then there is an ME image on the AP already. If not yes, you'll need to dl an image.. easiest way would be to transfer it via TFTP imo. You can do that with a similar command ap-type mobility express tftp://x.x.x.x/filename or archive download-sw /reload tftp://x.x.x.x/filename

2) IMO I'd download the .zip as you'll need it anyway. Within that bundle is the ap1g5 image which you can put on all 3. Once loaded, put one (or if you want redundancy, two) into ME mode and leave rest as CAPWAP and they'll join your first AP.

Thanks,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Oh also I'd use a different version of software. 8.6 has a few issues though looks like you're limited to only 8.5.x too and that isn't the greatest afaik. I'd still use 8.5!

Cheers,
Ric

The main question of the topic is: can i make it without cable console adapter = air-consadpt, because it is not common console adapter for this ap, and i can not find it.
I am sure there is no ME on my access points...

Ah gotcha... Well if you plug your AP in does it pull an IP you can ssh/telnet to with Cisco Cisco?

Alternatively you can hold the mode button down as the AP boots (must be pressed before turning AP power on) and hold it down for ~20 seconds or until LED turns red. After that, if it is like other APs, it will broadcast search for its IOS via TFTP on 10.0.0.x e.g. set your server to 10.0.0.5 for example and place it on the same L2 VLAN as your AP. You'll see it hit your TFTP server looking for a file such as c1815-k9w7-tar.default for example so you just rename that previous image I mentioned to that specific file.

Once booted then it will probably still be in CAPWAP mode but if you can then telnet/ssh to it you will be able to convert it to ME mode and then connect to the CiscoAirProvision SSID to configure it on boot.

Ric

yeah, unfortunatly can not connect throgh ssh/telnet
Thank you, in sounds like a way to solve my problem, i will try little bit later and write here is it works for my model of ap..
btw, what is main issues of 8.6 that you are not recommed it?
and, do you know, i need
Cisco 1815 Series Mobility Express Release 8.6 Software,to be used for conversion from Lightweight Access Points only. AIR-AP1815-K9-ME-8-6-101-0.tar
or
Cisco 1815 Series Mobility Express Release 8.6 Software. Access Point image bundle, to be used for software update and/or supported access points images. AIR-AP1815-K9-ME-8-6-101-0.zip
i think the second one?

unfortunatly, it is not looking for tftp at all :(

may be some alternative thoughts how to connect without air-consadpt?

i think there is one probably one more option - to install virtual controller, but did not try because Cisco gave me adapter and i changed firmware using console :)
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card