cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I connect cisco coax together?

shh5455
Level 3
Level 3

Is there any reason why I can't connect 2 coax cables together to get a length longer than 150 feet? I need about 180 feet.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, you can couple two cables. Unfortunately, you may not have enough signal left by the time the signal gets to the antenna.

As the signal is attenuates through the cable, it approaches the noise floor. At some point, even the gain of an excellent antenna is not going to amplify the signal enough to make much of a difference.

The gain of the antenna relates to the signal you give the antenna ... if there isn't much signal, you aren't going to get much of a signal out.

FWIW

Scott

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Yes, you can couple two cables. Unfortunately, you may not have enough signal left by the time the signal gets to the antenna.

As the signal is attenuates through the cable, it approaches the noise floor. At some point, even the gain of an excellent antenna is not going to amplify the signal enough to make much of a difference.

The gain of the antenna relates to the signal you give the antenna ... if there isn't much signal, you aren't going to get much of a signal out.

FWIW

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card