cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I have more than one frequency running on an access point?

marcosjr
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to install about 80+ AP's in a school. but they want different frequencies set on each AP. They want more than one frequency running on some. Is that possible on the 340 series. If so where do I set that up?

6 Replies 6

dave.reid
Level 1
Level 1

Can't do it

The Lucent AP1000 will allow 2 frequencies per AP. Although I think your customer is asking for 2 frequencies on a single AP because they don't understand the technology. What they probably want is overlaping wireless cells on different frequencies.

jkemery
Level 1
Level 1

You need to do some customer training here. The AP wireless design allows you to setup "cells". By doing this you have overlapping coverage but not overlapping frequencies. There is no need that I know of to have multiple frequencies on one AP.

Just a quick point. You may want two cells to have two frequencies available for redundancy, or to increase the density of users. If you want 20 users per AP, and you have a conference room, you may want two or more APs to cover 40 - 50 users in that room or cell. With the Cisco Aironet product the users will auto load level between the APs.

ED CARMODY
Level 4
Level 4

Sound's like they're trying to emulate a poorly-implemented Lucent feature. Lucent APs were supposed to be able to utilize two PCMCIA cards as independent radios to "double the bandwidth."

However, even with each of these two cards set to different frequencies, the close proximity of the radiaters (RF emitting devices) caused interference. As a result, when one card transmitted, the other couldn't receive well. Lucent won't tell you that.

I have been planing the use of Lucent's ORiNOCO, And your right, No one has said that. Any place where i can obtain some information on that?? How much distiance between the antenna's??

Jeromie Reeves

HDNI

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card