Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we use multiple antenna on 1 AP?

ittichai_a
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Anyone

I have a bit confuse with antenna. Possible i using multiple antenna with 1 AP? for example i using 1550 which 1 raio port for patch and other with omi on 5 Ghz. And how it different with other model? such as 2702e / 1602e  because it have more antenna also. Please help

Thanks

V

4 Replies 4

Yes, with 802.11n (MIMO -Multiple Input Multiple Output), an AP can have multiple radio chains (with multiple transmitter & multiple receiver antenna).

For example 2700 is 3x4 MIMO with 3 spatial stream support. That mean this AP has 4 radio chains where 3 transmitter antenna & 4 receiver antenna. With those 3 Tx antenna you can transmit 3 different data streams at the same time to a client which increase the throughput by 3 times compare to single tx antenna AP.

Hope that make sense

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses **** 

Hi Rasika
Thanks with your answer. So, what about outdoor 1550EU ? because on 1550EUhave 3 port for 2.4Ghz and 3 port for 5 Ghz. On 5 ghz, can i use port 1 for direct antenna, port 2 for omi antenna and port 3 for direc antenna?

Thanks

V

Hi 

This gives information about 1552 supported antenna options

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1550/installation/guide/1550_ch2.html#wp1311040

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika

Could you please explain to me. As AP2702E has 4 antenna ports

But specs of MIMO is 3x4:3 and as information you shared "3 transmitter antenna & 4 receiver antenna and 3 spatial stream", so does it mean that transmitter antenna is internal, and receiver antenna is external right?

Regards

HDT

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card