Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can WLC be upgraded from 3.2.78.0 directly to 4.0.179.11?

Hi All,

I have read some release notes and Configuration guide but they all didn't tell me the detail. Actually I want to know can I directly upgrade the WLC from old 3.2 version to the newest 4.0 version? And will the existing configuration be kept after the upgrade? Anyone can help me? Thanks!

Jason,

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: Can WLC be upgraded from 3.2.78.0 directly to 4.0.179.11?

Yes you can. I have done exactly the same thing on the WLC4402.

Here's the link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps6366/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008076cc09.html#wp1046424

Regards

Yes you can. However, there are many configurations that may not be held through the upgrade process due to structure changes. We have also seen many issues with corrupt configs. If you decide to do this we HIGHLY recommend defaulting the config and reconfiguring the box. I will save you much headache in the future!

-Mark

Silver

FYI:

If you are also planning on upgrading your WCS (if you have one), you will find some helpful information on an earlier thread:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Security%20and%20Network%20Management&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddcbc4c

In the case of the WCS, you are forced to perform an uninstall of 3.2 software and an install from scratch of 4.0. We did the upgrade prior to performing any configuration in 3.2 and so did not attempt to carry forward the config. But you will have some "fun" bringing any AP licensing forward.

- John

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content