Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cannot get AP to connect to Controller

I just installed a Cisco 4400 series controller running software 3.2.150.6 I upgrade an IOS AP (1200 Series) to be lightweight. Now I cannot get the controller to see the AP. I checked the DHCP 43 option and it is enabled. The AP has a static ip of which I can ping. I am not sure what else to check. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES

Re: Cannot get AP to connect to Controller

The 3.2.150.6 code, has a pretty severe bug in it where some, mind you not all, 1200 series AP's would fail to join the controller. The code was deffered and in it's place is 3.2.150.10. I would recommend upgrading to this or to 3.2.171.6, and your AP should join after that with no issues.

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Silver

You mention that the AP has a static IP. If that is true, it will not get the DHCP option to point it to the controller. If that is the case, you have a few options. I am linking you to a document that describes the different methods. If you only have 1 AP and it is static, the console method may be the quickest. If you have many that will be static, I would recommend the DNS method.

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/wireless/showcase?case=K07469255

Also, if this is an existing deployment, be sure your controller is in Layer-3 mode. Converted APs do not support Layer-2 mode. And lastly if it is a new deployment, I would personally recommend upgrading all the way to the code released this week (4.0.179.11). 4.x has a lot of new features, and that code has quite a few bug fixes from earlier 4.x codes.

-Eric

Please remember to rate all helpful posts.

Thanks. I tried to find the 4.x upgrade but when I login it says nothing is available. Is there someplace else I need to look?

Thanks.

Eric, Not entirley true. If you have an AP that is set statically, and it can't find a controller it will fallback to DHCP, and follow the information that is provided in the scope.

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks for the quick reply I appreciate it. I thought about a code issue. However, when I go to the downloads section on Cisco for the 4400 controller there is no updates available. is there someplace else I can get this update from or am I missing the obvious somewhere? Thanks again.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Andy,

I just had a look at the downloads page and saw 4.0.179.11 and some others. Here is the method;

Tools & Resources

Software Download

Wireless

Wireless Lan Controllers

Cisco 4400 Series Wireless LAN Controller

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Rob,

I tried that and I see nothing. It tells me no files are available. How can I get the upgrade files? If this a security issue with my Cisco login? I do have a maint contract on the controller.

Thanks.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Andy,

I did go back to verify that the files are there, so I am thinking that it must be your access level that is preventing you from downloading them.

I think that you will need to add SASU support in order to upgrade from 3.2 to the 4.0 train. Have a look at the following document that has good info and an excellent chart that compares what SAS and SASU offer;

SAS/SASU

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps2993/c1267/cdccont_0900aecd803f9235.pdf

Here is a recent thread that indicates that you get 90 days from purchase to access software upgrades, but I am not sure if that is correct (contact Cisco Tac);

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Getting%20Started%20with%20Wireless&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc72c4/8#selected_message

Here is where I accessed the files;

http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/

Or try accessing through the downloads section from the attached link;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Views
Helpful
Replies