Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot manage trunked ap1200

When I trunk my access points I lose the ability to manage them via telnet and http. To gain access, I must make the link to the AP static. Suggestions?

Thank you

5 Replies 5

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

The Native VLAN is your management VLAN.

If you moved the default Native (VLAN 1) to some other VLAN, or if you put the AP IP address outside of the Native VLAN, you won't be able to reach it.

If you made VLAN 10 the Native, then the AP must have an address in VLAN 10.

Good Luck

Scott

so check me on this:

All switches and APs have a native vlan of 1. No IP assigned.

management is through vlan10

users are on vlan500

Should I assign an IP from vlan10 to the AP and trunk the AP with both vlan10 and 500?

If your management VLAN is VLAN 10, then you need to decalre that in the AP config and assign an IP address from the address block for VLAN 10.

You should trunk (at a minimum) VLANs 1, 10, and 500. If you have no traffic on VLAN 1, then drop it.

While other Cisco devices permit you to separate the Management and Native VLANs, Access Points need both to be the same.

The prime symptom of a Native VLAN mismatch is that only one VLAN will pass the traffic (the declared Native from the access point).

Good Luck

Scott

I appreciate your patience with me Scott.

I seperated the management vlan from the native because of everything I have read.

Given that, by making vlan 10 the native vlan on the AP and maintaining vlan 1 as the native vlan on the switch, won't this be a vlan mismatch?

Should I move my managment vlan from 10 to the native vlan (1)? My understanding is that the management vlan should be seperate from the native vlan.

Thanks for your help

In most cases, yes, it's a good idea to separate the management / native. Many people that it's also a good idea (security-wise) to change the Native VLAN to something other than "1" ...

The AP gives you no choice for separation; your Native VLAN and your Management VLAN must be the same.

Whatever VLAN number you choose for Native should not be an issue, but it must also be the Management VLAN as well.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card