Views
Helpful
Replies

Centrally Switched and Flex Local Switched WLAN - same SSID

R M C
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I am currently working on a WLAN migration from lightweight to autonomous and would like advice on whether the following scenario is possible.

We've deployed an 8500HA pair at the customer's central HQ with the plan that SSIDs at the central HQ will centrally switch with SSIDs at branch sites locally switching.  AP and Flex groups have been configured for the HQ and branch sites.  There is a legacy SSID at HQ that will need to break out locally so a flex group is required for HQ.

My original plan was to do this with one WLAN Profile per SSID, configured to locally switch.  The HQ AP group will map WLAN to the relevant IP interface with the SSID omitted from the HQ Flex Group so that the SSID will centrally switch.  The branch AP groups will be configured with the SSIDs required for branch and Flex groups will be configured to break out the SSIDs  into the relevant local VLAN.

My question is, is it possible for an SSID to be configured as locally switched for branches but also centrally switched for HQ, by configuring it in the HQ AP Group but omitting it from the HQ Flex group?

Configured as above a client debug gives the below which seems to suggest that it isn't possible, unless I've configured something incorrectly...

*apfMsConnTask_5: Oct 03 15:48:51.012: c0:18:85:48:c0:5d Central switch is FALSE

My alternative option is to create a second WLAN profile for each SSID with the same SSID name but centrally switched and then apply that accordingly in the AP groups.

If someone can verify the above I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Mark,

in your scenario you have to configure the SSID twice. One with Local Switch selected and the other without.

One WLAN Profile between ID 1-15 and the other Profile above. 

Greetings

Philip

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi Mark

My question is, is it possible for an SSID to be configured as locally switched for branches but also centrally switched for HQ, by configuring it in the HQ AP Group but omitting it from the HQ Flex group?

When you configure an SSID for local switching, it is only applicable if AP in Flexconnnect mode. So as long as your HQ APs are in Local mode then all those users traffic will be central switch for the given SSID. At branch those AP are in Flex mode, they will locally switched.

Pls do not forget to rate our responses if that is useful to you

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika

Many thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, as mentioned above, the HQ APs are required in flexmode due to a legacy SSID that needs to be broken put locally.  

Using AP groups you can still have a centrally switched SSID using a flexmode AP, my query was if a WLAN profile is configured as locally switched can it be centrally switched if configured in the AP group but omitted from the flexgroup?

Thanks

Mark

Hello Mark,

in your scenario you have to configure the SSID twice. One with Local Switch selected and the other without.

One WLAN Profile between ID 1-15 and the other Profile above. 

Greetings

Philip

Hi Phillip

Many thanks for your response.  I thought that may be the answer, many thanks for confirming.

Enjoy your weekend

Mark

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card