Views
Helpful
Replies

Certain client types not connecting to Wifi

tajennings
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a pair of 5760's stacked with over 500 APs on campus. I've seen a few cases where certain clients cannot connect via mac authentication. These devices are all game consoles (Xbox360, PS3, PS4, Nintendo DS) and a Roku unit. Anyone have ideas on what would be preventing these clients to connect?  My guess is because we have AP multicast enabled to improve performance this is probably preventing certain clients to connect. 

I tried a roku on a stick on a lab 5760 with ap multicast disabled and it connected no problems. 

- Trevor

4 Replies 4

Hi Rasika,

Thank you for those links. The MAC authentication is working and the issue is not the authentication itself but the association to the SSID. I believe it may be due to ap multicast being enabled. 

I plan on doing some further testing and will update my findings on here. We also have an issue with robots that connect to the wireless fine, and although the clients can connect to the robots via ssh, the robots communicate with each other by broadcast traffic which is not being forwarded by the AP. On a lab controller without ap multicast this works fine so it is possible that there's a configuration issue I'm forgetting. 

- Trevor

So an update on this issue. The devices can in fact can connect to the controller but they are directly moved to the authenticated state. The controller thinks that the client never disconnected and according to the client details, the connection time is incredibly high (as in days or weeks). They cannot be removed using the 'wireless client mac <mac> deauthenticate' since they do not have an IP address. 

The only way to clear them is have the affected client move to another SSID, such as guest, to force an IP, then move back to the original SSID. 

Weird issue anyway. 

- Trevor

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please refer to the doc-

http://www.okcu.edu/technology/docs/WirelessClientTroubleshooting.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: