cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

change password on wireless

tachyon05
Level 1
Level 1

i need to change the key used for one of our wireless networks.  in the past, i would setup a new network (ssid) with a new key and remove the old network (ssid) after staffs are all migrated over to the new ssid.  this way, both the new and old networks will be available for sometime, giving staffs time to switch over.  however, i am wondering if there is another way.  i really don't want to change our current ssid anymore, but i need to change the key associated with it that staffs use to connect. any suggestions?  thanks

5 Replies 5

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Wat password change are u looking for??

WEP or WPA - PSK ??

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Tachyon05,

I will assume you mean PSK. If this is the case the anwser is no. You can only tie one PSK to the SSID. But we do something similar. We actually have our supplicants installed with 2 SSIDs, example TEST1 and TEST2. The supplicant looks for both SSIDs and we disable and re-enable as needed.

We also use wavelink to manage most of our devices (Cisco IP phones) to push the new key to the supplicants.

Another alterntiave is to use EAP and get away from PSK all together. ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

tachyon05
Level 1
Level 1

we are currently using wpa-psk. 

Sorry, but there is no way that I know that you can do that brother ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Wait, maybe if you 1 ssid as WPA- TKIP and your other is WPA2-AES. That might work.. But your clients would need to support it ...

You can have 2 SSIDs called the same (so long as the profile name is different and the security is different).But you would have to test it ..

EAP sounds like your best bet long term

Otherwise, the WLC will complain.