cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Channel Choice ... 1,5,9,13? (Australia)

david.kelsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We're currently running LWAPPs with WLC 4402s.

We've currently deployed using the three non-overlapping channels 1,6 and 11.

I read a post recently on a forum where someone suggested that they use channels 1,5,9 and 13 in Australia (which is where I am also). Although the channels overlap, the overlap occurs on the channel 'tails' only. The poster advised that these channel tails can overlap without having a negative impact on the performance of the wireless network because the channel 'centres' are still 20Mhz apart.

This allows for the use of 4 channels albeit with channel 'tails' overlapping.

I would like to know people's opinion on this topic. We're still running channels 1,6 and 11, but would consider moving to 1,5,9 and 13 depending on the feedback to this post.

4 Replies 4

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

It's not a bad design. It's actually a very common solution in Europe and Australia to do the 4-channel scheme instead of the 3-channel scheme.

Ultimately, the decision should be dependent on need. If you need 4 channels, you should have no problems switching over. If you don't need a 4th channel, just keep doing what you're doing.

From my experience, I've never seen a serious problem created from minor overlap, though that doesn't mean it can't happen :D

Thanks Jeff,

My next question is:

I've selected Australia under 802.11b/g/n > Country. When I go to the DCA selection only channels 1 to 11 are available, yet channels 1 to 13 are allowed under our regulatory domain.

Any ideas?

Double-check the hardware. Are they Australian access points? Maybe they're American?

The prodcut number will be AIR-LAP1131AG-x-K9 (or AIR-LAP1242AG), where x is:

A = America

N = North American

E = ETSI

Sure wouldn't be the first time we got stuffed around with regioning on things :(

Another issue I guess is, will users be able to even use your channel 13. Consider that in your design

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card