Views
Helpful
Replies

Channel & Power Issues

Craig Le-Butt
Level 1
Level 1

HI

I'm led to believe that the WCS controls the Channel and power issue for the APS.

We are using image   

WCS      5.2.1.148

WiSMs – 5.2.193

Triangulated coverage.

Several APs are using the same channel over lapping each other and using TX Power 1 when they are with in 15 meters of each other.

This is in open ward areas.

Shouldn’t the controllers or the WCS be adjusting this automatically?

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Craig,

The control you are referring to is called RRM or Radio Resource Management.

This excellent RRM doc cleared up alot of questions for me,  it used to be the case that

any AP needed to hear at least 2 neighbor AP's for RRM to kick in. This may be the case

in your example;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a008072c759.shtml#dcaa

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob

Thanks for the link.

I ran though and the settings look correct, but we still have the same problem.  APs using Full Power and using the same channels as surrounfing APs.

We are using Ekahau to messure the interferance and changed the AP channel on the Ekahau to see what the effects would be, straight away this has decreased by 98%

Cheers

Craig

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To add to Rob's comment...

RRM is not handled by WCS, rather it resides in the controller. Make sure you dont have a RF leader issue and is your controllers in the same RF domain ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card