Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1030 REAP and 4400 Controller VPN

tonynt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I'm a bit confused on a few things related to the 1030 REAP APs and the 4400 Controller.

Question #1) I know that the 1030 is made for doing local MAC but can you have a 1030 AP send all of it's user traffic back to the controller (split-mac)? I know you would typically just buy a 1010 or 1020 but I'm curious on this. The second part to that question is there anyway to tell the AP that certain traffic (maybe based on SSID) you want to be tunneled back through the controller, and other traffic you want it to go out local?

Question #2) Cisco is offering or will soon offer the VPN modules for the 4400 Controllers. Is encryption support for the data traffic from the 1030 REAP back to the controller or would you need to purchase a PIX firewall or a router with VPN capability to put in front of the AP so that all data traffic is encrypted back from the REAP. I guess my question is what are my data encryption options (if any) from the 1020 or 1030 back to the controller without having to purchase additional hardware?

I appreciate the help!

Tony

1 Reply 1

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

Answering to your first question, I think it is possible for the 1030 AP to send all of it's user traffic back to the controller. Encryption support will be present in the new controllers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card