Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1042N broadcasts a 802.11G signal instead of N

I am installing a new Cisco AP1042N access point in our network but the maximum speed it broadcasts is 54Mbit(802.11G) and that should be 300Mbit(802.11N). Im also disappointed about the range. Im using it in a small office building with a few thin walls but when im about 20 meters away from this access point my signal strength is very poor (My €100 HP V-M200 AP does much better in the same environment). I guess this is all because of my great Cisco skills (haha ) but im hoping someone can help me. Thank you in advance!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

stefan.angerer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

are you using security settings that allow 11n rates?

(no authentication or WPA2-AES do that; WPA-TKIP/WEP do not)

Also you have to set your channel width to 40 MHz to have more bandwidth available - but this is only possible for the 5GHz interface.

regards

Stefan

View solution in original post

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello:

try going through the guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/1140/deployment/guide/1140dep.html

make sure that everything is configured correctly.

Also, compare the gain of your HP and wireless antennas before comparing the coverage distance. It is not faire to compare two different gain antennas.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

stefan.angerer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

are you using security settings that allow 11n rates?

(no authentication or WPA2-AES do that; WPA-TKIP/WEP do not)

Also you have to set your channel width to 40 MHz to have more bandwidth available - but this is only possible for the 5GHz interface.

regards

Stefan

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello:

try going through the guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/1140/deployment/guide/1140dep.html

make sure that everything is configured correctly.

Also, compare the gain of your HP and wireless antennas before comparing the coverage distance. It is not faire to compare two different gain antennas.

HTH

Amjad

Thank you guys, now I am running on N speeds after i changed the WPA2 settings but the range is still not what I expected of a €500 Access point. Maybe I should have picked the 1240 series in place of this one.

Hello Bart,

Actually it is not necessarliy an AP fault. check the power settings under the radios and make sure you have highest power level configured.

You can also get better coverage if you use antennas with higher gains.

HTH

Amjad

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card