Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 1231 AP software upgrade Problem

Hi all

I have a Cisco 1231 Access point and I am trying to upgrade the software, however I cant seem to get it to work. I have tried a couple of newer versions of software from the download pages of the Cisco site, I have tried using the HTTP upgrade method as well as the TFTP method and niether of them work.

When I try using the HTTP method it says it is upgrading, but stops after about 10 Secs with a message saying that the upgrade process was interupted, If I use the TFTP option it just seems to sit there with the timer on the screen, I have even left it running over night, I have also tried disabling the Radio before upgrading.

The current software information is as follows:

Product/Model Number: AIR-AP1231G-E-K9

Top Assembly Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXX

System Software Filename: c1200-k9w7-tar.122-13.JA3

System Software Version: 12.2(13)JA3

Bootloader Version: 12.2(8)JA

System Uptime: 20 hours, 46 minutes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Cisco 1231 AP software upgrade Problem

Hi Derek,

There seems to be a number of Radio issues related to IOS upgrade to 12.3(8)JA but I don't know if they have been fixed in 12.3.(8)JEA? I t almost looks like your best bet would be 12.3(7)JA2. Have a look;

Changes to the Default Configuration Radios Disabled and No Default SSID

In this release, the radio or radios are disabled by default, and there is no default SSID. You must create an SSID and enable the radio or radios before the access point will allow wireless associations from other devices. These changes to the default configuration improve the security of newly installed access points.

Enabling MBSSIDs Without VLANs Disables Radio Interface

If you use the mbssid configuration interface command to enable multiple BSSIDs on a specific radio interface but VLANs are not configured on the access point, the access point disables the radio interface. To re-enable the radio, you must shut down the radio, disable multiple BSSIDs, and re-enable the radio. This example shows the commands you use to re-enable the radio:

AP1134(config)# interface d1

AP1134(config-if)# shut

AP1134(config-if)# no mbssid

AP1134(config-if)# no shut

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1130/release/notes/b38jearn.html#wp227969

CSCsc79121 Bug Details

First Found-in Version 12.3(8)JA

Symptom:

After upgrading IOS on an access point, a radio interface mail fail to come up.

"show interface" may show the interface to be down/down, with a MAC

address of all zeros:

Dot11Radio0 is down, line protocol is down

Hardware is 802.11B Radio, address is 0000.0000.0000 (bia 0000.0000.0000)

Conditions:

This is seen after upgrading to IOS 12.3(8)JA.

Workaround:

Downgrade to IOS 12.3(7)JA2.

CSCsd84198 Bug Details

Symptom:

802.11B Radio will stay in down/down after upgrade to 12.3(8)JA

Conditions:

Cisco AP1210

Further Problem Description:

"show controller" will have zeroes in MAC address, bia address and software

version fields.

To confirm this issue, downgrade to the previous version, shut down radio

interfaces, repeat upgrade and then re-activate radio interfaces. Radios should

be up them. This is not a workaround since it is not oprerationaly scalable in

mid to large environments.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

14 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Derek,

I'm not sure what release you are trying, but I am guessing something like 12.3.(8)Have a look at the following;

Software upgrades fail when you use the web-browser interface to install Cisco IOS Release 12.3(8)JA2 on 1200 series access points. The image size exceeds the access point's 4-MB restriction for software upgrades. Use TFTP to upgrade your access point to this release. For complete instructions on using TFTP to upgrade access point software, see the "Working with Software Images" section in the Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide for Cisco Aironet Access Points. Click this link to browse to that document:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo1100/accsspts/i1232ja/i1232sc/index.htm

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_release_note09186a00806a61e6.html#wp17722

As far as the TFTP goes, make sure that a personal firewall isn't preventing the file transfer.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts....

Thanks for the info Rob

I have seen this before and followed the instructions to the letter. still no joy i'm afraid.

I have checked and the XP firewall is disabled. When I enter the address of the TFTP server and the path/filename details and click upgrade the 3 lights on the front of the unit do the following:

The top light illuminates green and flashes off every 2 secs

the second light stays static red for 45 Secs

The third light does nothing.

After 45 Secs the top light goes static green and the second light goes rapid flashing (Green), at the same time I get an error on the screen saying

ERROR:

Upgrade error:File not found, server not found or invalid file format.

I have been trying to upgrade to 12.3(2)JA2 I have also tried 12.3(7)JA1

Hi Rob

Thanks for the links, I have read them and I think I have identified the problem, I will give it another try tonight when I get home and let you know how I get on.

Thanks Again

Derek

Hi

I managed to get the software upgraded to the most recent release, 12.3(8)JEA eventually after a few try's

I now have a different problem in thqt I do not seem to be able to enable the radio, anyone got any ideas

Thanks for all your help so far

Derek

Well, I managed to get it all sorted and my AP is up and running again with the latest software installed.

Thanks to rob for all your help.

Derek

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Derek,

There seems to be a number of Radio issues related to IOS upgrade to 12.3(8)JA but I don't know if they have been fixed in 12.3.(8)JEA? I t almost looks like your best bet would be 12.3(7)JA2. Have a look;

Changes to the Default Configuration Radios Disabled and No Default SSID

In this release, the radio or radios are disabled by default, and there is no default SSID. You must create an SSID and enable the radio or radios before the access point will allow wireless associations from other devices. These changes to the default configuration improve the security of newly installed access points.

Enabling MBSSIDs Without VLANs Disables Radio Interface

If you use the mbssid configuration interface command to enable multiple BSSIDs on a specific radio interface but VLANs are not configured on the access point, the access point disables the radio interface. To re-enable the radio, you must shut down the radio, disable multiple BSSIDs, and re-enable the radio. This example shows the commands you use to re-enable the radio:

AP1134(config)# interface d1

AP1134(config-if)# shut

AP1134(config-if)# no mbssid

AP1134(config-if)# no shut

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1130/release/notes/b38jearn.html#wp227969

CSCsc79121 Bug Details

Symptom:

After upgrading IOS on an access point, a radio interface mail fail to come up.

"show interface" may show the interface to be down/down, with a MAC

address of all zeros:

Dot11Radio0 is down, line protocol is down

Hardware is 802.11B Radio, address is 0000.0000.0000 (bia 0000.0000.0000)

Conditions:

This is seen after upgrading to IOS 12.3(8)JA.

Workaround:

Downgrade to IOS 12.3(7)JA2.

CSCsd84198 Bug Details

Symptom:

802.11B Radio will stay in down/down after upgrade to 12.3(8)JA

Conditions:

Cisco AP1210

Further Problem Description:

"show controller" will have zeroes in MAC address, bia address and software

version fields.

To confirm this issue, downgrade to the previous version, shut down radio

interfaces, repeat upgrade and then re-activate radio interfaces. Radios should

be up them. This is not a workaround since it is not oprerationaly scalable in

mid to large environments.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Hello,

I am having this same issue and I would love some help on getting my 1200 AP upgraded. I have tried up grading to c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEA.tar. I am having no luck with it. I am new to using TFTP so this could be where my problem is. I downloaded the document for how this is done, but I am confused. Do I need to wipe my AP clean before flashing the upgrade? Also when I downloaded the file from the website it is a .tar file. Do I need to extract that to my TFTP directory or do I just place the .tar file in the TFTP directory? Can someone write out what I need to do to upgrade this with the proper commands. I know once I see it and do it once it is going to be a no brainer.

Thanks!

It's been a while since I did this but if I remember rightly, simply place the .tar file in the TFTP folder, the TFTP software should find it once it's in there and extract it itself.

Yes I have placed the .tar file there and maybe I am doing something else wrong. Do you remember what the commands were that you used? Did you erase what was already there before you did the upgrade?

Thanks

-Scott

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo1200/accsspts/b1238ja/1238jasc/s38trb.htm#wp1048378

Look under "Using the CLI". There are also 3 links earlier in this thread, the 3rd one was the most help to me when I was having problems. To be honest I cant remember exactly what I did I just remember that these links helped me sort it.

Dont forget that the AP's IP address and the TFTP servers IP are important to get right otherwise they wont see each other.

Hope this helps

Hey I got it working. Seems my problems was that on my TFTP server I set the root folder for c:\TFTP-Root and when I was giving the command of archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://192.168.1.122/tftp-root/filename.tar. I didn't need to add in the tftp-root folder name and it was looking in the wrong place. Once I removed the and did it like this archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://192.168.1.122/filename.tar then it worked like magic.

Thanks for your help!

-Scott

Hope you got this sorted, I used Solarwinds TFTP client to fix my problem

DId'nt see your last post, glad you got it sorted mate.

Don't forget to rate this thread

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content