Replies

cisco 1252 - questions about transmit power and TPC

markus_stoneeh
Level 1
Level 1

hello

i recently aquired an autonomous version of the 1252 access point with 2 radios

i have two questions:

1) if i for example select 17 db = 50mW for the transmit power, is this the total power level for the access point? or does it double when i use two transmit antennas? meaning 1 antenna = 17db = 50mW, 2 antennas = +3db = 20db = 100mW? this is very important for regulatory considerations

2) i cant find an option to enable or disable TPC (transmit power control). i hope this is enabled by default?

regards

markus

3 Replies 3

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The power you configure is the transmit power at the antenna connector. so it does not take into account the antenna gain.

Example : 17dbm at antenna connector = 23dbm in the air (EIRP) if you have a 6dbi antenna.

Even though there are 3 connectors for a radio, only 2 can transmit (3rd one is receive only), and the 17dbm is on each connectors.

For example in 11n, each "connector" would transmit a different signal (dual spatial stream) and each signal would be at 17dbm.

I don't think this matters for the regulation rules because these are 2 different transmitters so you should not stack up their power to see if you comply to rules.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

thanks for the answer. well i'll have to see whether maximum EIRP is per device or per transmitter

any idea about TPC?

regards,

markus

As far as I know, you enable it by typing "power local ...". Defining local power rules means you lower the power rules for your SSID (below regulation). That's basically doing TPC.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card