Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1300 Series with AIR-ANT24120 external antenna

maileh2007
Level 1
Level 1

Here,

I am using Cisco 1300 Outdoor Access Point/Bridge. I connect AIR-ANT24120 omni antenna to the Right Primary connector but i'm not sure whether the AIR-ANT24120 is working or not because i find no difference in range before and after i deploy my AIR-ANT24120. Please could anyone confirm the working configure for this AIR-ANT24120 on my case. The 1300 Access Poiny/Bridge running C1310 Software Version 12.3(8) JA2.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The range your client PC will connect at will be about 200M MAXIMUM. That limit is imposed by the antenna built in to the client laptop or wireless card. To get better range yuo would need to fit a higher gain antenna, something it's not usually possible to do.

If my post is helpful, please rate it. : )

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

andrew.brazier
Level 4
Level 4

Have you configured the 1310 just to use the right primary antenna? Default is "diversity" = both antenna.

Yes i did. but still i cannot get a reception for as far as 100 meters from the access point. To my understanding it is around 100M without the external antenna and plugging the 12 dbi external antenna should increase the range for my wireless recption. Is it right or may i'm on a different track.Please any thing you think that can help me please it is much appreciated.

regards

maileh2007.

Are you setting up a bridge link or connecting to the 1310 with a client? If a bridges link to another 1310 with the same antenna you should get several kilometers range. If you are connecting a client to the 1310 then depending on the environment you're in 100M may be as much range as you get. The limitation will be the client radio and antenna, the 1310 may well be "visible" to the client from hundreds of meters away but the client will not have the range to contact the 1310. That may be your problem.

Thanks for the advice. Things now is much clear now. i am connecting a client to the 1310. For a bridge link i can definetly associate from few kilometers away. But i was thinking that it is also possible to associate from few kilometer away using my labtop also. In orther words i am trying to connect a client to the 1310. Please if you have additional words on this, please i am really appreciate that co's i am sure it would help clarify more on this issue. Especially the limitation of clients or how far can i connect my client to the 1310, Or are there any special configuration on the 1310 plus my 12 dbi omni external antenna attach to it that would increase the range for my clients or is it only 100M-200M the maximum range for client irregardless of the external high gain antenna and all.

thanks.

The range your client PC will connect at will be about 200M MAXIMUM. That limit is imposed by the antenna built in to the client laptop or wireless card. To get better range yuo would need to fit a higher gain antenna, something it's not usually possible to do.

If my post is helpful, please rate it. : )

Thanks so much for your confirmation of this issue. Things now is much clear. One question i want to ask if you could suggest any material or website on the internet that i can get such information so that i can teach myself and broaden my knowledge is this area. Especially about antenna polarization and the like.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card