cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3602e CAPWAP will not join vWLC

mpierce28
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a rather troubling issue.  I had an access point that was connected to my virtual wireless lan controller.  It worked fine in the testing environment, but then I tried to roll the environment over to production.  This meant connecting the AP to the primary Wireless Lan Controller.  The original lan controller would have become the primary but I could not get the management interface moved over to the VLAN I wanted it on. 

(Not sure why that did not work, but regardless I had to reinstall the controller and enter 3 as the VLAN during the initial config to get it to take.)

So now I am trying to connect the AP to a new controller and the old controller is gone.  No matter what I try it will not connect.  My controller says that there is not an entry in the database.  The times on the 2 devices do not match up, and the certificate fails during the initialization process.  I cannot set the time on the AP because I cannot connect to it.  So I just set the wrong time on my controller so they would match, but no luck there either.  I cannot connect via the console port on any speed or setting for flow control.  I cannot telnet or SSH.  I can access the web interface but I have no options to change anything.  I am told that running a write erase command on the AP will reset it so I can connect it to the new controller, but I cannot access this device to run that command.  Is there a fault in the console port on this device?  Is there any other way to force this device to join the new controller?  I already tried setting it as the master controller and removing the arp cache.  No idea how to remove the MAC cache.  I get the error that the AP is not found in the temporary database.  Is there any way I can add it manually?  It fails on the certificate, can I disable the use of certificates/authentication of any kind at least until I can wipe this AP?

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post the following output:

1.  WLC:  sh sysinfo;

2.  WLC:  sh time;

3.  AP:  sh version;

4.  AP:  sh ip interface brief; and

5.  AP:  sh inventory

mpierce28
Level 1
Level 1

Just wanted to note that I was able to gain access to my AP finally.  The console cable I was using was bad.  Now I have a different issue.  Apparently the IOS is corrupt and wont boot.  I tried changing the os to a different version within the flash folder, which got the device to boot, but then it rebooted right back into the other IOS and failed when I restarted the AP.  I entered the set boot command with the image name of the working IOS but that did not seem to do anything.  I then deleted the faulty IOS and now the boot process just cycles even when manually tell it to boot from the one that worked.  Is there a location on the device that keeps an archive of the IOS?  I would like to just erase my flash folder and start over with a new IOS. 

If no archive then is there a location where I can download the IOS for this?  I want to try to avoid Cisco smartnet... I feel troubled paying thousands for something that I already own.

Apparently the IOS is corrupt and wont boot.

This is no big issue.

Push the autonomous IOS back into the AP using this:  Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

Once the AP boots up in autonomous IOS, copy the controller-based RCV IOS into the AP.

So go to the Cisco website and download two IOS:  The autonomous IOS and the CAPWAP IOS (RCV).

Thanks I will give it a shot, but this is what I was afraid of.  I bought the device but no service contract so i do not think they will give me access to software.  I am pretty sure that they want me to buy smart net, which I heard is thousands of dollars per year.  Not sure if my company will go for that.  I may just return the device and buy another one with a non corrupt OS. 

I am pretty sure that they want me to buy smart net, which I heard is thousands of dollars per year. 

I have no idea where you got this information, but this is not the case.

Get a list of a number of authorized reseller and ask all of them to submit a quote for SmartNET which will include the ability to download firmware for your controller and APs.

Make sure you ask about three to four of them. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card