cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3602i Recovery

Jeff Flagg
Level 1
Level 1

So I did a bunch of research and tracked down the recovery steps and got through up to Step 3 where you initialize tftp but I dont know where to look for the recovery image? Do I look in the 5508 controller or should I be looking in NCS?

Here is the screen shot where I am up too...

erasing block 248
erasing block 249
ap: flash_init
Initializing Flash...
...The flash is already initialized.
ap: set IP_ADDR 10.1.45.17
flashfs[0]: flashfs_touch, unable to lookup filemap for fileid 1
flash:/env_vars.tmp: I/O error
The filesystem containing the variables may not be initialized yet.
ap: set
IP_ADDR=10.1.45.17
ap: set NETMASK 255.255.248.0
flash:/env_vars.tmp: device busy
ap: set DEFAULT_ROUTER 10.1.40.1
DEFAULT_ROUTER=10.1/40.1
IP_ADDR=10.1.45.17
NETMASK=255.255.248.0
Unknown cmd: set
DEFAULT_ROUTER=10.1.40.1
IP_ADDR=10.1.45.17
NETMASK=255.255.248.0
ap: tftp_init
tftp_init success: You can now use tftp file system!
ap: 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

If you have the old image of AP then you can do like this:

Step1: When the AP: command prompt appears, enter the set command to assign an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway to the wireless device.

Note You must use upper-case characters when you enter the IP-ADDR, NETMASK, and DEFAULT_ROUTER

options with the set command.

Your entries might look like this example:

ap: set IP_ADDR 10.10.10.5

ap: set NETMASK 255.255.255.0

ap: set DEFAULT_ROUTER 10.10.10.1

Step 2 Enter the tftp_init command to prepare the wireless device for TFTP.

ap: ether_init

Step 3

Start TFTp server and put the image in tftp root directory.

Enter the tar command to load and inflate the new image from your TFTP server. The command must include this information:

ap: tar -xtract tftp://10.10.10.8/<image name>.tar flash:

Step4: then use

ap: boot <image name>

Hope it helps.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Exactly, what are you trying to do?  

If you are trying to recover or convert to autonomous IOS, the read this:  Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

To expound on Leo's comment, I have an 3602i that I was trying to join to my wireless infrastructure via Prime/NCS. During the initial discovery process, the AP failed to get past the initialization phase and started to flash a consistent red light. When I consoled into to AP it was in a state where the command prompt had a colon after the AP. The research I did led me to believe it was failing to initialize the code. I was trying to follow the steps to recover the AP but I am unsure of where to find the code used within my network, or in the controller or Prime... 

Hi,

If you have the old image of AP then you can do like this:

Step1: When the AP: command prompt appears, enter the set command to assign an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway to the wireless device.

Note You must use upper-case characters when you enter the IP-ADDR, NETMASK, and DEFAULT_ROUTER

options with the set command.

Your entries might look like this example:

ap: set IP_ADDR 10.10.10.5

ap: set NETMASK 255.255.255.0

ap: set DEFAULT_ROUTER 10.10.10.1

Step 2 Enter the tftp_init command to prepare the wireless device for TFTP.

ap: ether_init

Step 3

Start TFTp server and put the image in tftp root directory.

Enter the tar command to load and inflate the new image from your TFTP server. The command must include this information:

ap: tar -xtract tftp://10.10.10.8/<image name>.tar flash:

Step4: then use

ap: boot <image name>

Hope it helps.

Regards

If that is the case, then you need to convert the AP to autonomous (process posted above) and once the AP boots into autonomous IOS, copy the RCV IOS into the AP.  

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Using the NCS to Update System Software

To update controller (and access point) software using the NCS, follow these steps:

Step 1 Enter the ping ip-address command to be sure that the NCS server can contact the controller. If you use an external TFTP server, enter the ping ip-address command to be sure that the NCS server can contact the TFTP server.

Note When you are downloading through a controller distribution system (DS) network port, the TFTP server can be on the same or a different subnet because the DS port is routable.

Step 2 Choose Configure > Controllers to navigate to the All Controllers page.

Step 3 Select the check box of the desired controller, choose Download Software (TFTP or FTP) from the Select a command drop-down list, and click Go. The NCS displays the Download Software to Controller page.

Step 4 If you use the built-in NCS TFTP server, choose Default Server from the Server Name drop-down list box. If you use an external TFTP server, choose New from the Server Name drop-down list box and add the external TFTP server IP address.

Step 5 Enter the file path and server file name in their respective text boxes (for example, AS_2000_release.aes for 2000 series controllers). The files are uploaded to the root directory which was configured for use by the TFTP server. You can change to a different directory.

Note Be sure that you have the correct software file for your controller.

Step 6 Click Download. The NCS downloads the software to the controller, and the controller writes the code to flash RAM. As the NCS performs this function, it displays its progress in the Status field.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card