Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 4400 Series WLAN Controller as an Internet Gateway

Hi,

I want to find out if the Cisco 4400 Series WLAN Controller can be used as an Internet Gateway instead of a dedicated internet gateway like the Antlabs Internet Service Gateway.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES

Re: Cisco 4400 Series WLAN Controller as an Internet Gateway

Hello,

I suppose this all depends what you are trying to get out of an internet gateway ...

Can a WLC provide:

Guest Splash Page --> YES

Guest Logon --> YES

Billing or Pay for Service--> NO

Internet Site Blocking --> YES/ NO ..

What are you looking to get out of your internet gateway !?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Re: Cisco 4400 Series WLAN Controller as an Internet Gateway

Hi George,

First, thanks for yur reply.

We are deploying a WiFi mesh network in a university.

1. They do not want WiFI users accessing the university's server farm (subnet & VLAN).

2. They want to avoid the hassle of new users (students and staff) having to configure their laptops WiFi security settings and hence putting an operational strain on the university's IT staff.

So we proposed a solution whereby the WiFi security is OPEN and a new user will connect and associate with the WiFi network BUT when they try accessing the internet, the browser is redirected to a 'guest login page' - just like happens in hotels etc. The login details shall be stored in a RADIUS database. Most users will be students an hence their using the WiFi network is based on having paid their tution fees. So i do not really think the aspect of billing will come into place in an internet gateway.

So, can the Cisco 4400 Series WLAN Controller perform the role of an Internet Gateway in this case?

Views
Helpful
Replies