Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5760 management port question

Bart Slinger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have noticed some ( to my knowledge strange behaviour ) when I have configured the management port (GigE 0/0). Curious if it is my device or that is default behaviour cannot really find anything about it in the documentation. Via HTTP(S) it is fully operable from inside the subnet or outside the subnet doesnt make a difference.

But when I connect to it via telnet or ssh from outside the subnet it is very slow. from inside the same subnet it is working properly. I made a port mirror and captured some of the network traffic and noticed it was doing a broadcast every 2 secs.

The documentation http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/5760_deploy/CT5760_Controller_Deployment_Guide/Supported_Features.html

says the following:

Management Port (Service Port) (RJ-45)

The Cisco 5760 Series Controllers have a 10/100/1000 copper Ethernet Management port (GE 0/0). The management port is reserved for out-of-band management of the controller, system recovery, and maintenance in the event of a network failure.

Okay perfect I get that, but out-of-band management doesnt necassary means it has to be very slow outside off the subnet, right ?

With regards,
Bart

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dhiresh Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Like 5508 , and as you mentioned this is for out of band management , So  traffic would not use          the normal data plane ports , and should talk to CPU directly for providing out of band management which will take some more time.As such this is for same vlan only and that too which is not used by other devices.Its subnet should not be routable in the network and incoming and outgoing traffic destined to it . So some amount of delay should be expected from out of subnet but there is no defined values , might depend upon how busy CPU is.

Regards

Dhiresh

**Please rate helpful posts**

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dhiresh Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Like 5508 , and as you mentioned this is for out of band management , So  traffic would not use          the normal data plane ports , and should talk to CPU directly for providing out of band management which will take some more time.As such this is for same vlan only and that too which is not used by other devices.Its subnet should not be routable in the network and incoming and outgoing traffic destined to it . So some amount of delay should be expected from out of subnet but there is no defined values , might depend upon how busy CPU is.

Regards

Dhiresh

Hi Dhiresh,

Thanks for your answer, 

besides the point that you should not route it do a different subnet. I do not really get why traffic from outside the subnet should be slower since there is a router between them seeing it in perspective why would it be heavier for the controller to reply to a router instead of to a client directly.

But I think I found out why it was so much slower, cause it is responding correctly now.

Hi Bart,

My reply was "might be" cause of the issue as I have seen several intermittent network issues and slow radius authentications (actually packets drop in the backened ) while using this port for other purposes because of the same reason as described above plus crashes.

Anyway, good to know that its working fine now.

Regards

Dhiresh

Thanks for your answers dhiresh, almost to ashemed to post what made it so slow but just leave it at using the port for other purposes.....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card