Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AIR2602E not coming up when Antenna attached

Sohail Muhammad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

I am facing a weird kind of situation. At one of my client side, we have Cisco AIR-2602E APs with ANT-2566 patch antennas. At one IDF, where Cisco 2960X are installed, the APs are not powering up when Antenna is attached. Once the Antenna is removed, the APs come up and then when Antenna is attached, it works fine. I have configured the port with "power inline port 2x-mode" command as well, but no use. Is there any issue with the Switch or AP?

Regards, Sohail 

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With the antennas attached, go to your switch and post the output to the command "sh power inline <port>".

I'm suspecting you have a faulty cable.

Currently, this is the status of the port.

#show power inline g1/0/1
Interface Admin  Oper       Power   Device              Class Max
                            (Watts)
--------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----
Gi1/0/1   auto   off        0.0     n/a                 n/a   30.0

Interface  AdminPowerMax   AdminConsumption
             (Watts)           (Watts)
---------- --------------- --------------------

Gi1/0/1               30.0                 30.0

Uhhhhh ... That's not the right output.  

Output above shows NO POWERED-DEVICE is connected to Gi 1/0/1.  

So where is the AP connected to?

just a guess...

try to disable CDP at this port

what categorie is the LAN-cable? (you'll need cat6a)

at the switch try speed 100 on switchport... if it's working then, you're cable isn't cat6a

if it's working then, you're cable isn't cat6a

This assumption isn't totally accurate.  

I can have a Cat6/6a cable and if I disconnect the GigabitEthernet wires does this mean that my wire is NOT Cat6a?  Cat6/6a doesn't dictate what speed is detected.  Your cable can be detected to run 10/100/1000 Mbps. 

What i wanted to test by fix the speed to 100... if the cable is cat5 for example it cannot deliver enough power through at 1gbit. So the switch shows that power is in use but the port may have the status "not connected" If you fix the speed to 100 it may be that the port is comming up and delivering enough power. Otherwise Tac case....

if the cable is cat5 for example it cannot deliver enough power through at 1gbit.

Power?  You mean PoE?  If you are talking about PoE (through the "eyes" of a Cisco switch) then this is totally incorrect. 

PoE is pushed through the wire using the third cable pair (aka Pair C) and GigabitEthernet is pushed through the wire using the fourth cable pair (aka Pair D).

It doesn't matter if your cable is Cat5/5e, Cat6/6a, the results are still the same.  

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

please open TAC case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: