cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1140 Standalone AP

stevenmorgan
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings. For some time now I have been looking for a good business class wireless AP. I've narrowed it down to the Cisco Aironet 1140 standalone (no controller). I'm no stranger to Cisco products. I've worked with their routers, switches and Pix/ASA firewalls. However, I've not had the opportunity to work with their wireless AP's. I'm hoping someone here, who has experience using these AP's (more specifically the 1140 standalone), can provide information on the reliability and security of these devices. Some of the features I would like to have like Radio Mgmt. and Rogue AP Detection I see are only available on the controller based units. Does not having these features on the standalone unit reduce its reliability and security? This is for a small business and the budget does not allow to drop for a controller at this time. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These 1140's are a good choice for standalone 802.11N. As far as reliability and security, it would be the same as a lightweight AP. you can use various encryption types along with using 802.1x. You will not have the features of rogue detection or radio management since these are standalone.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These 1140's are a good choice for standalone 802.11N. As far as reliability and security, it would be the same as a lightweight AP. you can use various encryption types along with using 802.1x. You will not have the features of rogue detection or radio management since these are standalone.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Scott has posted, 1140 is a good model.  The 1040 is another.  It's not as pricey as the 1140.

stevenmorgan
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks for the responses. Can you elaborate a bit on the security aspect? Is it critical to have rogue AP detection? Also, with the radio mgmt., do these units do well if they encounter interference from other devices that use the same frequency band? Do they have auto channel select. I've seen this feature available on lower end products from other manufactures. Please excuse all the questions. Just want to better understand the product before purchasing.

Right-o.  The stuff you are now asking, rogue WAP detection, automatic radio resources management, dynamic channel assignment ... these bits (and more) fall under the domain of the wireless LAN controller.

How many WAPs are you looking to install?

Wireless LAN Controller

You should be looking at the 5508 and WiSM-2. 

Rogue detection is dependent on your organization. Some companies require features like this and others can care less. Look at it this way... Some organizations that are looking at wireless now and want this as a requirement, but how are they preventing users now to not bring I'm there own wireless AP:). Secure your wired side and that will help a lot.

As far as radio management, a good site survey and validation can help determine what channels to set your radio at. I would not use the "Find the best channel" drop down if it were me. You are limited with a stand alone AP, but look how long these have been in production.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

stevenmorgan
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks again... Just to mention, I will be recommending a wireless solution to a client. I’m stepping into uncharted waters with these units. I want to be sure I’m making a good choice.

The needs are to have separate internal and guest wifi connections along with security and reliability. The solution is to utilize their current ASA 5505 w/sec plus and VLAN’s. Power the AP using PoE. I did a site survey and picked up on only a few wireless networks in the area, but that could change, just trying to think ahead. I concluded one AP should provide enough coverage. I estimate about 10 devices using the wireless on a given day.

You will be fine then with that choice.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card