Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1200 cell size

dchia78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I under from the Aironet 1200 specs that the range (indoor) is 40m @ 11Mbps. I have an auditorium which seats around 350 users.

I was thinking if it is possible to lower the transmit power to a range of only 5-7m so as to allocate more APs without interferance of channels.

1 Reply 1

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

There are a couple of ways to do that, but you may want to rethink your distance.

1) You can lower the transmit power setting on the AP. However, it may be unintentionally increased later by accident or by someone else. OR 1a. You can force loss on the line between the AP and the antenna by inserting an attenuator, but that will also drop the Receive strength, so you would only want to do that with separate TX and RX antennas.

2) You can use a cable and antenna config that results in the final signal strength you want. For 7m to a user with a PCMCIA card and decent reliability, you want final output of about -12dBm. That would mean setting the AP to 11Mbps only at 1mW and putting the 2.2dBi antenna on the end of about 200 feet of cable. 2b) or set the AP to 1mW, 11Mbps only and put a 13dB antennuator in line to the antenna.

7 meters is a very short range. In fact, that's too smal an area to get enough people to max out capacity on the AP. We can help you with coverage layout and design based on user capacity without interference problems.

Matthew Wheeler

Chief Wireless Architect

www.BlueModal.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card