Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1200 with poor/none signal

Kry0hwifi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a Cisco Airnonet 1230B on the top of my building with a 9 DBI omni antenna, totaly isolated from the exterior, powerd with POE (about 50 meters long), and untill now everything went perfect, but yesterday the AP sudently went with no signal/ very poor , first i thought that it was from the pigtail or the connectors, but it was all ok, then i thought that was something wrong with AP, ive tooked to my house and tested with a 2 dbi antenna , when i was mesuring the signal with one wireless client ive noticed that in 1 meter of distance i was associated with -80/45% signal, and the power in the configs was on MAX , radio enabled, antena on the RIGHT, ap configuerd on the right antenna, and antenna gain DISABLED. Could this means that the mini-pci inside the AP could had a shoruted circuit and burned out the main amp. of the ap ?

Thank your for your time

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Then it is a fairly strong possibillity that the unit took some stress from the environment and the radio needs replacement.

Since you are using a different antenna, and you're getting little / no signal out, that's about all it could be.

Put in a "lightning arrestor" too, while you're fixing the system. It won't save you from lightning, but it will pass much of the static charges and not-too-near hits energy through a saf(er) path.

I'd also recommend putting a segment of fiber somewhere along the path as well. It give your network a much greater chance of surviving a direct or very-near lightning hit.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Also try it with the setting on "Left" (at home). Some of the units were marked incorrectly and have the terminals reversed.

As far as your building-top setup, has it rained recently?

Do you have snow / ice?

Has there been any thunderstorm activity lately, or has it been dry and windy - any tempreture (i.e., the lightning protector has been blown)?

Has there been any maintenance / mechanical activity in the neighborhood of the system or coax, such that the coax has been compromised (kinked, cut, or crushed)?

Let us know ...

Scott

Hi again

Yes ive tryed on both left and right terminals and the siganl was the same.

The outside conditions ( weather ) yes it has rained a lot, and we had a strong thunderstorm just the night before ive noticed the problem ( maybee thats the cause of the problem, ive noticed that the lighning protector was missing, some wise guy took it of... ), the power grid in this area it had been 100% fine , also i have an UPS were the power supply of the AP is connected. All the coax system is 100% ok no changes.

Thank you for your reply

Then it is a fairly strong possibillity that the unit took some stress from the environment and the radio needs replacement.

Since you are using a different antenna, and you're getting little / no signal out, that's about all it could be.

Put in a "lightning arrestor" too, while you're fixing the system. It won't save you from lightning, but it will pass much of the static charges and not-too-near hits energy through a saf(er) path.

I'd also recommend putting a segment of fiber somewhere along the path as well. It give your network a much greater chance of surviving a direct or very-near lightning hit.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card