Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Aironet 3502i Width channel in 2.4GHz

Hello all,

I recently upgrade new switch called ESW540-24P gigabit switch from old Catalyst Express 500 so I wanted to switch the Width Channel from 20 MHz to 40 MHz on autonomous IOS, however, 5 GHz band allow me to use 40 MHz in order to pull full 300 Mbps but I am having issue with 2.4 GHz, when I choice from Width Channel, there is ONLY 20 MHz option. There was no 40 MHz like earlier IOS on either IE or Chrome. I am on 153-3.JAB so is this IOS affected to autonomous IOS to everyone if having problem with Width Channel?

Any tip I can enable the 40 MHz in 2.4 GHz?

Thanks!

PS. my internet speed now 100/10 (130/12).

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

You can't enable 40mhz on the

You can't enable 40mhz on the 2.4ghz.  When 802.11n was introduced, the earlier code versions had the option.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
7 REPLIES

You can't enable 40mhz on the

You can't enable 40mhz on the 2.4ghz.  When 802.11n was introduced, the earlier code versions had the option.

Scott

-Scott

That's mean I'm stuck on 20

That's mean I'm stuck on 20 MHz for 2.4 GHz. Oh well so which code that had 40 MHz option? I am not sure which one I can get file to allow me to use 40 MHz on 2.4 GHz.

Thanks

You will not be able to get

You will not be able to get that file anymore.  The 1252's had the code, you have the 3500's so your out of luck. 

Scott

-Scott

I will discovering on which

I will discovering on which code that has it. Once I found it, I will let you know that there has the code. I had 1252 in past but I had to recently upgrade because of it required to have higher than 15.4W to use both radios.

You are right. I tried older

You are right. I tried older code, there no 40 MHz. And definitely out of luck so what do you recommend me to get different AP? like 3602i or something.

Many enterprise access points

Many enterprise access points will not allow you to set 40mhz on the 2.4ghz.  You can only find those at the local store when buying home router/wifi.  You should be fine with the 2.4ghz and 802.11n enabled to be honest.  Even if you went with a 3600 or 3700, it will not allow you to set 40mhz on the 2.4ghz.  If you also look at 802.11ac, that allows 80mhz, but only available on the 5ghz.

Scott.

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

40 Mhz channel width on 2.4

40 Mhz channel width on 2.4 Ghz does NOT exist in an enterprise-grade wireless access point, like Cisco's.  And if you understand 2.4 Ghz wifi, you'd be asking-for-trouble if you want a channel width of 40 Mhz on an over-crowded frequency spectrum like 2.4 Ghz.  

With default 20 Mhz you get, at most, three non-overlapping channels.  Now if you increase this to 40 Mhz, you'll wind up with two non-overlapping channels.  Now have you tried sniffing out your home for any channel interference from neighbors' WiFi (which is most likely to be running on the same 2.4 Ghz spectrum)?  

40 Mhz channel-width for 2.4 Ghz no longer exist in enterprise-grade AP because of this very reason:  There is no room to switch channels.  

You will find this in SOHO APs because this is one way for manufacturers to sell their stuff, common-sense or not.   5 years ago, maybe, not all homes have wireless.  Nowadays, you'll be hard pressed to find a home NOT to have any form of wireless device (AP, DECT phone).  Again, just by this reinforces the logic of the decision to remove the option to enable 40 Mhz channel-width on the 2.4 Ghz radio.

Views
Helpful
Replies