cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet interference

d-woods
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco Aironet 340 wireless bridge with an external antenna installed as my internet connection. The first thing I had to do was remove all of the 2.4ghz phones in my office, they killed the signal to the card. My question is if anyone has any experience using the Aironet system with a wireless lan. I am considering switching over to some type of wireless system to replace the wired network in place now but am concerned because of the previous interference problems.

4 Replies 4

mmellet
Level 3
Level 3

We use a combination of wires and wireless in my company. We’re migrating slowly to wireless. It is nice to go from conference room to conference room and have connectivity. Interference was really bad at first but we removed the rogue 2.4 phones and there hasn’t been another problem. These 2.4 GHz phones as I understand it, frequency hop so they will kill an 802.11b wireless network in a hurry. There’s a lot going on in that frequency space too. Wireless keyboards and mice. Wireless video transmitters. Wireless networking is far more important to me than any of those.

I agree. Work your way up slowly. And don't forget its going to be an ongoing process. By the time you get your network upgraded there is going to be something new and you are going to have to start over again. Its a certainty in this business. Unfortunatly we can't tell if the current technology will last for a month or 5 years. I guess what I'm trying to say is take it slow.

Just a note, the FCC is working on or has allowed for the use of 5.6GHz radios. These run at around 5 times the speed of the 2.4GHz systems. Of course the more GHz the less range you're going to get.

I'm done ranting

God Bless,

Webcats

kdecato
Level 1
Level 1

Try first to check availble settings on both the phone and the wireless device. Newer models of phones and newer versions of software for the wireless adapters allow changing the settings to ensure proper operation of both.

jaunger
Level 1
Level 1

In the U.S. there are 11 channels in the 2.4 GHz band. Each channel is 22 MHz wide.

The band itself is 83 MHz wide so some channels partially overlap others. To minimize the chance of interference, pick channels that do not overlap and that are as far away as possible, channel 1 and 11, for example. Channels 1, 6, and 11 are non-overlapping.

If you place your wireless LAN on a channel that doesn't overlap your Internet connection,

you should be able to minimize or eliminate interference between the two systems.

jack

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card