cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP1121G - No loopbacks allowed?

rnlaberge
Level 1
Level 1

I have noticed in AP1100 series documentation that loopback interfaces are to be avoided.

This begs the question of what to use in their place for a source interface for snmp, logging, etc. ?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Justin Kurynny
Level 4
Level 4

Robert,

Could you not just use the bvi1 interface, or does this pose some kind of issue for you?

Justin

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Justin,

That is what I am using now.

But, in the spirit of best practices I was using a loopback for snmp, logging, etc., for the obvious reasons.

Then I noticed the important notes concerning loopbacks, on ap1100 series image release notes, during the WGB setup problem. And I was indeed experiencing IAPP GENIFO storms, so I disabled the loopbacks.

So I guess since the AP has limited ingress/egress options, the loopback really doesn't provide any significant advantages over the BVI1???

Thanks for the response.

robert...

Robert,

Makes sense. I always thought the loopback guideline only really applied to routers, and that because on routers none of its interfaces is traditionally dedicated to management, but actually perform a routing function, i.e., you don't mix up management and routing on the same interface. Compare to an L2 switch, where the purpose of the IP address is for management. It doesn't really need the IP to do its job.

At any rate, I wasn't aware of the caveats on loopbacks on the APs, so it's good info to have. Thx!

Justin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card