Cisco AP1121G Workgroup Bridge Problem

rnlaberge
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

For reference I have attached the following:

Network Diagram

Ping Results Table

Configurations for 1811 router, ap1121g root access point, ap1121g wgb.

I am seeking assistance with the following problem.

Referring to the attached network diagram, I cannot communicate past the ap1121g-wgb in either direction.

Also attached is a result table of ping attempts through the ap1121wgb from each side.

I don't have a problem with the wireless connections. The ap1121g's associate ok.

Based on the ping results the problem appears to be in the ap1121g-wgb configuration, but I have run out of ideas.

The following two cisco documents have been my main reference, besides the cisco command lookup site.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_configuration_example09186a00805b9b87.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_21a_JA1/configuration/guide/scg12421aJA1-chap19-wgb-standby.pdf

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert,

Going back to your original post and looking through the example given in the first URL, I spotted a few lines in the example configurations which apply to older revisions of code, but not newer AP code, so they may be misleading. Based on the parameter availability of station-role workgroup-bridge in your last message, would you be wiling to try the following?

• Reset both 1121 APs to factory default configuration (#write erase -- do not save config to startup if prompted)
  • Give each AP an IP address on BVI1 so that both APs are in the same subnet

• Apply the following configuration to the infrastrucuture (root) AP:

dot11 ssid WGB-SSID

authentication open

interface dot11radio 0

ssid WGB-SSID

station-role root

no shutdown

• Apply the following configuration to the workgroup-bridge (client) AP:

dot11 ssid WGB-SSID

authentication open

interface dot11radio 0

ssid WGB-SSID

station-role workgroup-bridge

no shutdown

The intended goal with this exercise is to get rid of all config and to try only basic required elements of a WGB configuration, starting with fresh factory defaults. Let's see if it will work for you as a bare-bones setup and then you can add other configuration like encryption and ACLs back in later.

Justin

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

on the root bridge,

interface dot11radio0

station-role root bridge

Root just allows the clients, not the bridging.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will give that a try when I return to the site.

But this does confuse me, as the following commands appear to be the only viable station-role commands for my version IOS on the 1121.

The Cisco command lookup site also appears to affirm this.

Again Thanks,

robert...

Steve,

Tried to issue the cli command 'station-role root bridge', but the 1121 does not accept it.

Still scratching my head of this.

robert

Hey bud I looked at your config. On your WGB do this ...

NO bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source

And see if this helps you get past the WGB address to your device.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hey George thanks for looking.

Tried  your suggestion, but it did not help.

Any other suggestions...?

... I could be wrong about this, but in a lab I did a year ago, I think I found that the 1121 does not support bridging p2p, p2mp or wgb.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Justin,

I think you may have ID'd the problem.

Using Cisco Feature Navigator, I discovered the workgroup-bridge function for the 1100 series is supported only up through image 12.3(8)JA2.

I am running 12.3(8)JEC3 which does not show as supporting workgroup-bridge on the 1100s but does on the 1200s.

So I'm going to load up the JA2 image and test it.

Question is, do I load in on both APs or just the wgb AP?

Will post back with the results.

Glad you commented, I hate unresolved deadends.

Thanks,

robert...

Well I loaded up 12.3(8)JA2 and reloaded the configs and get the same results as described in the original post.

I applied George's suggestion; still no change.

So I went back to an earlier image that is also documented to support WGB on the 1100 series; 12.3(4)JA2.

Loaded it and still no change.

So I'm still scratching my head. All documentation that I can find says the above two images support WGB on the 1100 series, but I can't seem to make it work.

I'm open to any further ideas.

Thanks,

robert...

Robert,

With your AP now reverted to earlier code, can you go into dot11radio0 interface configuration mode and issue the following commands (bold text, exactly as shown) and post the output? I'm looking for a list of the available parameters for each of the root and non-root roles.

(config-if)# station-role root ?

(config-if)# station-role non-root ?

(config-if)# station-role ?

For what it's worth, in the past I've seen alleged feature support documented but not actually available or fully implemented, especially on some of the autonomous aironets, so you may be running into this issue here.

Justin

EDIT: Previously replied under wrong post.

Justin,

Yes, I have experience that also and it is very frustrating, because you want to give the feature every opportunity to work, if it will.

Here are the command results of the wgb. The root AP was the same.

Thanks for the assist.

robert...

Robert,

Going back to your original post and looking through the example given in the first URL, I spotted a few lines in the example configurations which apply to older revisions of code, but not newer AP code, so they may be misleading. Based on the parameter availability of station-role workgroup-bridge in your last message, would you be wiling to try the following?

• Reset both 1121 APs to factory default configuration (#write erase -- do not save config to startup if prompted)
  • Give each AP an IP address on BVI1 so that both APs are in the same subnet

• Apply the following configuration to the infrastrucuture (root) AP:

dot11 ssid WGB-SSID

authentication open

interface dot11radio 0

ssid WGB-SSID

station-role root

no shutdown

• Apply the following configuration to the workgroup-bridge (client) AP:

dot11 ssid WGB-SSID

authentication open

interface dot11radio 0

ssid WGB-SSID

station-role workgroup-bridge

no shutdown

The intended goal with this exercise is to get rid of all config and to try only basic required elements of a WGB configuration, starting with fresh factory defaults. Let's see if it will work for you as a bare-bones setup and then you can add other configuration like encryption and ACLs back in later.

Justin

Justin,

"...would you be willing to try the following?"

At this point I am willing to try most anything. I will perform the test when I return to the site.

There is one other approach that I have not tried, and that is to configure the APs in client-mode instead of infrastructure-mode. But I will save that for later, if necessary.

Thanks for your time,

robert...

Justin,

So far I have reconstructed the configuration's major functions without breaking the WGBing. There are some remnants of the orginal config that will not be put back as they are either not needed or where incorrect to begin with.

I'm still on the 12.3(4)JA2 image and have yet to try the more recent ones. I will upgrade the image once I am comfortable with the config on the present image.

Will let you know when I upgrade images.

Thanks,

robert...

Justin,

Thanks for forcing me to do the bare-bones test.

It works!!

I have connectivity from a pc behind the hp-switch (see network diagram) to the internet.

I can also reach devices behind the hp-switch from the root-ap, which I could not before.

Now I will start the pains-taking process of piecing the original conf back together, piece by piece, to find out what is breaking the wgb function.

Guess I know how I'm going to spend my week-end.

Thanks for the great assist. I will definitely post back with the gorey details.

Again thanks for your help!!

robert...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card