Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

cisco.com gets appended to AP names

Anybody knows why cisco.com gets appended to AP names when we do a "show cdp neighbor" on the switches that host the APs?

2 REPLIES

Re: cisco.com gets appended to AP names

Are the autonomous or lightweight AP's? On lightweight AP's - console in to the AP and do a "show hosts". You may see a line that reads something like "default domain = cisco.com". If so, then that's probably where your problem lies. If you are using DHCP for the AP IP addresses, be sure and hand out domain information. Manually set it otherwise. I think the "show hosts" command works the same way on autonomous APs.

Lightweight AP's will try to resolve CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER as a standard part of locating a controller during the join process. If you don't specify a domain name to be handed out with DHCP address leases, the AP will try to resolve CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER.cisco.com, which is 10.32.32.19 (try it for yourself!). Trying to figure out why APs were resolving CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER to 10.32.32.19 (and not what I had set on my DNS servers) is how I figured all this out.

Re: cisco.com gets appended to AP names

They are lightweight APs.

Views
Helpful
Replies