cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Controller 2504i SSID

tnguyen
Level 1
Level 1

I just got a new Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller and two AP2802i. I had to update the software to 8.2.141.0 before the AP can join the controller. So far everything is working but I want to connect to a SSID that is not broadcasting. I just get "Unable to join the network....."

12 Replies 12

I would check DHCP first. Next thing is authentication. What type of authentication do you use for the SSID?

Why do I need to check DHCP? I know DHCP work because when SSID is broadcast I get IP address and connect just fine. The authentication for SSID is using PSK.

Then your SSID is working, right ?

I want to create a SSID without broadcasting it. When it broadcast it work but I uncheck the broadcasting it don't work.

You have to ensure you are configuring the good WLAN Security when adding the adding the WLAN on your settings.

AL

Hi tnguyen@Jet,

the answer is you can't do this in iOS based devices, if you clear the broadcast checkbox on the wlan configuration your device won't see the SSID again, even if it was connected to the SSID before.

the way to do it 

configure the SSID manually, go to settings >> WIFI>> other networks and enter the SSID name and security (case sensitive).

BTW, if you're hiding the SSID as a security method, you can forget about it, it has nothing to do with security and it can be hacked in seconds. 

When the broadcast checkbox is on I can connect fine. Once I uncheck the broadcast the connect is drop and when I configure manually I get "Could not find the network"SSID name"

Just trying to keep the list as short as possible.

hi tnguyen@Jet,

check the L2 security configuration and make sure of the case sensitive when you enter the SSID.

I made sure it was all correct (case sensitive). Is there a setting in L2 I should look at?

try this apple tool
sorry this page may be in Dutch I did not manage to find the correct english page

after unchecking the broadcast on the controller,
did you also enable "connect when no broadcast" on the client ???

alternatively remove the wifi profile on the client and add manually again

How would you enable "connect when no broadcast" on a smartphone (iphone)?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card