cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IAPP protocol

PaulBullough
Level 1
Level 1

Is the Cisco IAPP protocol specified anywhere?

The only documentation I can find is contained within the Cisco CCX specifications. This is rather piecemeal and mixed up with all the other CCX stuff.

I assume there is a specification on the Cisco IAPP protocol somewhere. Can anyone direct me to it?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Bullough.

6 Replies 6

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

IAPP is a standard, I believe.

Here's a wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Access_Point_Protocol

Google can also get you some other refrences.

Good Luck

Scott

Unfortunately, "Cisco IAPP" is not the same thing as "IAPP" (802.11F).

If it was I'd be happy as yes, 802.11F is nicely documented.

Cisco IAPP is a proprietary protocol and a different beast altogether.

Thanks anyway, but I'm still looking for a Cisco IAPP spec ...

Paul.

You won't find Cisco IAPP documentation. Cisco IAPP goes back to the pre-Cisco Aironet days and it's a proprietary protocol.

One important point is that IEEE voted to withdraw 802.11f in early 2006 so it's basically irrelevant.

IAPP perhaps, but Cisco IAPP is still in use as part of the CCX Cisco extentions to 802.11.

Cisco tests third party equipment against it in their compliance tests.

One would have though Cisco would have documented it for use by those third parties (of which I am one, hence my interest).

It's a bit worrying if it isn't actually documented, or if the documents are not made available to others attempting to pass Cisco compliance tests.

Regards,

Paul.

You're absolutely right that Cisco IAPP is still relevant and part of CCX. It's not that it isn't documented, it's that Cisco IAPP is proprietary and only made available internally and, I assume, to CCX partners who need the information. The information necessary to pass compliance testing is available to our partners who've got the right legal documents in place. I don't know all the details, but work with your Cisco CCX contacts.

Thanks, Jake, for your replies.

It isn't that we haven't been working with other contacts, just that this forum was another channel to try in the hope that someone would have a quick answer.

To be honest, we are a "partner" but still find it hard to get detailed technical help out of Cisco through that relationship.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card