Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Prime Infrastructure patch 2.1.1 - HA issue

Hello,

I have a problem with the Cisco Prime Infrastructure patched to version 2.1.1. I did exactly what Installation Guidelines say:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-1-1/release/notes/cpi_rn.html

– Install the Prime Infrastructure 2.1.1 patch by using the Administration > Software Updates page on the primary server.

– Restart the primary server.

– Verify that the patch installation is complete. If you find the installation complete, decommission and reinstall the secondary server and add it back to the primary server.

I reinstalled HA server and I'm trying to add it to HA but I get "Failed to authenticate - Primary(xx.xx.xx.xx) and Secondary(xx.xx.xx.xy) PI version does not match"

Can you help me with that? What I'm doing wrong? or maybe this patch is not prepared to work in HA mode?

Regards

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

https://tools.cisco.com

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCup89410/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Cisco Employee

Symptom:The installation

Symptom:
The installation instructions of PI 2.1.1 patch in a High Availability environment are not accurate and following these steps will result in the inability to re-pair the Primary and Secondary servers.

Conditions:
If the instructions are followed, then when the user attempts to re-pair the servers, an error will be encountered:
"High Availability Registration Failed - Failed to authenticate - Primary (x.x.x.1) and Secondary (x.x.x.2) PI version does not match".

Instead, the following steps have proved to work correctly:

1. Upload and install patch on primary.
2. Upload and install patch on secondary.
3. Stop NCS services on secondary
4. Stop NCS services on primary
5. Start services on secondary
6. Start services on primary
7. Re-pair HA servers from primary

Workaround:
Workaround 1:

On the secondary, go under root and issue:
# cd /opt/CSCOlumos/bin/
# ./hamode.sh primary
Answer 'yes' when prompted.

Go to admin user and execute
# ncs stop
After the services are stopped:
# ncs start

When the services are back up, login to the secondary GUI as you would login to a primary server
Go under Administration > Software update, upload the patch and install it.

# ncs stop
# ncs start

When the services are up, go under root and issue:
# cd /opt/CSCOlumos/bin/
# ./hamode.sh secondary
Answer 'yes' when prompted.

# ncs stop
# ncs start

After the message that services started successfully on the secondary, initiate a new High Availability configuration from the primary. Now the synchronization between the two servers should succeed.

Workaround 2:

Redeploy or reinstall the Primary server, restore the backup which was taken prior to applying the patch, reconfigure the High Availability and continue with the steps described in the Conditions section.

Further Problem Description:
Release Notes have been updated with more precise instructions.

Known Affected Releases:
(1)
2.1(0.0.85)

Another error... I've switch

Another error... I've switch secondary as a primary:

ade # ./hamode.sh
HA mode is : primary

after that I've restart ncs using ncs stop ncs start

and I got:

ade # vi /opt/CSCOlumos/logs/launchout.log
Starting Health Monitor as a primary
Checking for Port 8082 availability... OK
truststore used is /opt/CSCOlumos/conf/truststore
truststore used is /opt/CSCOlumos/conf/truststore
CERT MATCHED :
Updating web server configuration file ...
Starting Health Montior Web Server...
Health Monitor Web Server Started.
Starting Health Monitor Server...
Health Monitor Server Started.
Health Monitor is running, with an error.
initHealthMonitor(): can not start DB
Ftp Server is Stopped
Database server is stopped
Tftp Server is Stopped

To sum up: I give up and I'm really disappointed that Cisco give us patch with so many bugs.

Cisco Employee

I'm not sure this is an error

I'm not sure this is an error. are you able to log on "secondary" (which is now a primary) via gui?  if you are, proceed with the patch installation and revert to secondary as explained in the workaround.

No, I was not able to login

No, I was not able to login via GUI. I was on the client site and I didn't have time for another test so I reinstalled all servers to version 2.1 and I will test patching procedure in the lab. If I figure out what was the issue I will provide you the solution.

Hello!I`ve done all steps

Hello!

I`ve done all steps from Workaround 1 but faced up the next error: "Decommissioned from secondary server" "Failed HA registration Can not execute adminCmd: alter database open read only"

Best Regards,

Vrublevskiy Anton

Hello Vrublevskiy,Did you

Hello Vrublevskiy,

Did you figure out a solution? I have the same error. The PI servers are running 2.1.0.0.87. We've been trying to get the HA working again after the upgrade to 2.1.

Regards,

Alex G.

To deploy high-availability

To deploy high-availability on an existing Prime Infrastructure installation:

Step 1    Identify and prepare the hardware to run the secondary Prime Infrastructure.

Step 2    Ensure that network connectivity between the primary and secondary Prime Infrastructure is functioning, and all necessary ports are open.

Step 3    Install the same version of Prime Infrastructure for the secondary server as was installed for the primary server.

Step 4    Upgrade the primary Prime Infrastructure and secondary Prime Infrastructure to the new version.

Step 5    Start the primary Prime Infrastructure. All processes start, including the Health Monitor.

Step 6    Configure the high-availability parameters described in the “Configuring High-Availability on the Primary Prime Infrastructure Server” section.

Step 7    Activate high-availability on the primary Prime Infrastructure. The primary Prime Infrastructure first copies its database to the secondary Prime Infrastructure and then connects to the secondary. The following files are copied over from the primary to the secondary Prime Infrastructure:

DB password file
        All auto provisioning startup config files
        All domain maps
        All history reports that are generated by scheduled report tasks

High-availability deployment is complete. Use https://<piip>:8082 to access the HealthMonitor UI. Within the HealthMonitor UI, use the authentication key to log in.

You can change the authentication key in Prime Infrastructure, view the current status of the health monitor, and remove the configuration settings using the command prompt. Enter the following commands:

AL-249-HA-PRIM/admin# ncs ha authkey —To update the authentication key for high-availability.
        AL-249-HA-PRIM/admin# ncs ha remove —To remove the high-availability configuration.
        AL-249-HA-PRIM/admin# ncs ha status —To view the current status of high-availability.

For more information about these commands, see the Command Reference Guide for Cisco Prime Infrastructure, Release 2.0 .

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content