cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Wireless Controller and LWAPP Transport Mode

sactoraymond
Level 1
Level 1

I am using Cisco Wireless Controller 4112. My question is what would be the scenario for using LWAPP layer 3 instead of layer 2?

I want to have different VLANS be assigned to the user based on SSID the users have configured. Do I need to use LWAPP at layer 3? And do I need to configure trunking between the Controller and the network switches?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

The key to configuring an access point to connect to a specific VLAN is to configure its SSID to recognize that VLAN. Because VLANs are identified by a VLAN ID, it follows that if the SSID on an access point is configured to recognize a specific VLAN ID, a connection to the VLAN is established. When this connection is made, associated wireless client devices having the same SSID can access the VLAN through the access point. The VLAN processes data to and from the clients the same way that it processes data to and from wired connections. You can assign only one SSID to a VLAN.

The limits of the VLANs are:

16 unencrypted VLANs

1 static WEP encrypted and 15 unencrypted VLANs

1 static WEP encrypted VLAN, 3 dynamic WEP VLANs, and 12 unencrypted VLANs.

4 dynamic WEP encrypted VLANs.

For configuration information refer to the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008043ac58.html#wp1038979

rupert.wever
Level 1
Level 1

You are not required to run LWAPP at layer 3 to assign wireless users to their VLAN basedon SSID. Remember that LWAPP is the protocol used for the controllers to communicate to the AP's. However, the payload can still be transported to the proper VLAN.

However (you knew that was coming), it is highly recommended that you use LWAPP at Layer 3 when designing a network that requires scaling.

Layer3 mode is used when you have a routed network between your controller and your accessPoints.

For exemple if you have some access points in a Vlan100 and your management interface (+ap manager interface) of your controller in another vlan.

it is possible to have other access point in anotherr vlan.

GB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card