cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLAN 5508 Controllers and Apple TVs in Education

psiegling
Level 1
Level 1

We are a College and Lower School environment, on two campuses. At the College, a major effort is underway to use Apple TV, and iPads for interactive classroom work. The basic of users on iPads and connecting and sharing information through the Apple TV work really well..... BUT, we are experiencing the Apple TVs being dropped from the network, or loosing connectivity to the network during a class engagements.

We are experiencing interactive drops of the Apple TVs from the network. Most noticeable when we monitor the network configuration section on the Apple TV, and can visually watch the IP address disappear, the signal strength drop, and the signal strength come back and the IP address return. This can happen multiple times in a three minute period. The Apple TV is stationary.

We are noting any instability with our mobile Jabber connections, or general user interactions with the Wi-Fi network.

Environment:
Cisco Aironet 1252 Access Points.
Connected to PoE 3750 and 3750x switches.
Managed by 5508 WLAN Controllers in primary and redundant mode.
DHCP assigned addresses for the Apple TVs
Apple TV 3rd Generation 1080p MD199LL/A (Software ver 6.0.2) functioning as wireless clients.

Are there any "Best Practices" documents from Cisco that addresses the uses of Apple TVs in an education environment?
Does anyone else have history and resolution of Apple TVs in Wi-Fi education or multi-media environments?

Thank you for you help.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

5 Replies 5

Hi,

This is how I deployed it in our campus environment where Apple TV is on wired network with static IPs (WLC code 7.4.121.0). May be useful to you

http://mrncciew.com/2013/03/27/configuring-mdns-on-wlc-7-4/

Here is WLC 7.5.x Bonjour Deployment guide, pls follow it if you are running on that code

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/bonjour/7.5/Bonjour_Gateway_Phase-2_WLC_software_release_7.5.html

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika,

I am experiencing latency on the data exchange between the IPAD and the Apple TV. Any ideas about what should I customize on the WLC?.

thanks

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In many schools that i have deployed we have Apple TV's both wired and wireless. Make sure that the WLAN that these devices are connected to is only using WPA2/AES. Don't set the WLAN to WPA/TKIP and WPA2/AES or all or a mixture. This causes issues with the Apple TV's and Apple devices in general. Also don't enable client load balancing. I run multiple Apple TV's at home and don't have any issues so far. Many of the issues I would have is with the iPhone and iPads.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

ajc
Level 7
Level 7

I am experiencing latency on the data exchange between the IPAD and the Apple TV. Any ideas about what should I customize on the WLC?.

thanks

The Cisco Unified Wireless Network (Cisco UWN) solution is designed to provide 802.11 wireless networking solutions for enterprises and service providers. The Cisco UWN solution simplifies deploying and managing large-scale wireless LANs and enables a unique best-in-class security infrastructure Pass4sure 300-115 The operating system manages all data client, communications, and system administration functions, performs radio resource management (RRM) functions, manages system-wide mobility policies using the operating system security solution, and coordinates all security functions using the operating system security framework.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: