Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC 5760 Load Balancing and Licensing

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I am trying to figure out following as we are close to upgrade the current WLC 5508 pair.

1. Can Cisco WLC 5760 do load balancing? For example, I bought two 5760 to manage 700 APs. Can I configure to have 400 APs registered with 5760#1 and 300 APs registered with 5760#2?

2. With WLC 5508, I have to buy 500-AP license in order to configure HA to manage up to 250 APs. Will the WLC5760 require the same licensing setup? I am looking for two WLC5760 with 700 APs. Does this mean, I need to buy 700-AP license for each WLC?

3. Do I need the HA/Redundancy license?

Thanks,

/S                  

28 Replies 28

Yes, 2 X AIR-CT5760-1K-K9 load balance

If you need to configure HA then you need

1 X normal 1000 AP licence

1 X HA SKU (Means zero Licence)

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

The same I link posted above in

HA AP SSO deployment:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/5700/software/release/ios_xe_33/5760_HA_DG_iosXE33.pdf

Rregards

Dont forget to arte helpful post and mark this question as answered, it may help others

HI,

Information:

5760 does not support HA AP SSO with 3.2.2 version.

You can do the traditional two controller setup. Where you can have a 1:1 redundancy or split the APs across the two controllers.

With IOS XE 3.3.0SE AP SSO is supported when using the controller stack cable. So the 5760 and 5760-HA is in a stack and HA is enabled by default when stacked.

regards

I dont have much experience with 5760 WLC(This is pretty new), so I can tell you exactly about this point

May be other experts can,,,

Yes, I am more towards 5760/3850 (Converege Access)  compare to 5508 (Unified Access) . This is based on bandwidth demand due to 802.11ac & having requirement of consistent QoS & Security policy for wired & wireless in our campus environment.

Feature wise you cannot compare 5760 to 5508 as CA still behind & trying to catch up. So do not try to match 1:1 what you are able to do with 5508 & what 5760 can do.

I am  doing testing with 5760/3850 at the moment & it will take time to absorb this new CA concepts & design (not many good documentation available to public)

for me, 5760 is the platform to go with in the given scenario (8500 is more for service providers & 5508 is what he currently got). But you need to understand the paradigm shift from CUWN to CA when deploying that product.

HTH

Rasika

****Pls rate all useful responses ****

I actually was reading your blog post regarding the 5760/3850...

do u have any link that you can share about the CUWN vs CA?

I will do  a  post on that   (in coming weeks)

Regards

Rasika

Thanks rasika

I am totally dedicated to you...following ur footsteps---> CCIEW

Regards

Hi Sandeep,

Hope you will get it soon... You are on right track

KIT

Rasika

Hey, Rasika

Do you know if WLC 5760 pair with stackwise cables can do Active/Active HA/LB?

Hi

If you are using 5760 as a central controller  without  3850/3650 to terminate CAPWAP, then pretty much 5760 is doing the function of 5508 & HA would be active/standby (not active/active)

If you are using 5760 as MC & 3850/3650 as MA, then all your CAPWAP terminates on your MAs. Even MC fails it does not matter as no CAPWAP terminate on 5760 itself.(there is a impact for certain things like inter-SPG roaming, RRM,etc)

Here is the reference document I have on this CA architecture which may help you to understand these concepts (it is dated 2013 June & may not be upto date with latest code enhancements)

CONVERGED ACCESS – WIRED / WIRELESS SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE, DESIGN, AND OPERATION

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Cool, I now have something to read after dinner tonight...

Part of the reason I kept asking about fully redundancy with Load balancing, aruba controllers provide the active-active redundancy with load balancing without charging extra... Just wonder why cisco can not do Active-Active...

HI,

Can u mark this question as answered, it may help others.

Please rate helpful posts accordingly.

Regards

I have posted few more references for CA under below thread

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2249117

Feel free to go through it if you are going for 5760 & this CA architecture sometime in future.

Also pls rate our responses accordingly if that is useful to you.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful resposnes ****

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card