Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC and Apple TV Bonjour

CSCO10675262_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have followed the guide on http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/bonjour/7.5/Bonjour_Gateway_Phase-2_WLC_software_release_7.5.html on enabling Cisco WLC 7.5 with Apple TV Bonjour however I have a weird problem. I have some clients unable to see the apple TV connected to a different wireless access point while some can see the apple TVs connected. I have attached my setup for reference. I would like to enquire on the use of LSS and if anyone may have encountered similar problems? The apple tv is being discovered by the wlc under mdns-Domain Names.

As per the document, multicast has not been enabled however the discovery of the apple tv is intermittent from the apple clients. Client A may discover apple tv 1 and 3 however not apple tv 2 and sometime it can discover all 3 apple TV while client B is able to see all 3 apple tv devices. All 3 apple TV devices are discovered by WLC and only apple TV service has been enabled on WLC.  I was wondering if anyone has seen similar issue? Not too sure what may be the cause of it?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

22 Replies 22

Thanks again Scott,

I found something else:

If you are using Power Injector on AP 2602i (i have not checked another type/model of AP) and the AP is connected to an old LAN SW (2950, 2924), then when I upgraded the WLC to 7.5, I experienced power issues on the AP's so I had to enable power injector override for those AP's using the Cisco Prime for the Wireless network and I could solve the issue (Radios Enabled but Operational Status Down, you cannot enable the Radios via CLI on the AP as well).

I am going to check the same on version 7.6

regards

That is required when using power injectors.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We are running version 7.3 with over 3000 APs and power injector override is not being used. Only when I upgraded to 7.5 one of the WLC, I started having problems with some AP's. In any case, thanks for the advice.

Well... I would suggest you push that config change... upgrading WLC code doesn't mean that things stay the same... in many case things can break.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Even though I have some information, I would like your recommendation about the following:

What is the best option to upgrade from 7.3 to 7.6?

7.3 ---- > 7.6

or

7.3 --- > 7.5 --- > 7.6

thanks in advance

Hi Abraham,

You can directly upgrade to 7.6 from 7.3.

Check the upgrade path:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn76.pdf

Note: do not go for 7.5 version, its deffred from cisco and have many bugs.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Just upgrade straight to v7.6.... the thing is, you need to open a TAC case in order to get the TAC release if you really want to go to v7.6  The TAC release is v7.6.101.7.   You can request it here also, but they prefer you open a TAC case so they can track any issues.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-40402

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Hi Scott/Acamachotdsb,

After much monitoring/troubleshooting on the setup, I believe it is working as required.

Appreciate for the great information. Just to update, it has been setup with multicast disabled (on the wcl using multicast to unicast distribution)

Thank you for the assistance :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card