Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco WLC Help

Hi guys,

I'm just after a bit of help. I work for a school where we have setup a Cisco 5500 WLC and 17 AIR-LAP1142N light access points. It seems like everything is working fine, we setup 2 SSID's (one for students and one for staff) both of which seem to allow people to connect with no worries. We enabled both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands, with the intention that clients would connect on whatever they supported (this may be where we went wrong). But anyway, we keep getting the following error messages:

Coverage hole pre alarm for client[1] e0:b9:ba:92:38:e0 on 802.11a interface of AP 0c:85:25:f3:7e:c0 (Room12). Hist: 0 1 1 7 3 4 6 5 7 28 11 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

This one seems pretty obvious, but in this school we have the WAPs spread out quite a bit (for example, we have one in the gym which would be at least 80 metres away from the next nearest WAP) so is this a message we should ignore or disable? Or is it a real problem? This message only ever comes up on the "802.11a" interface as well.

These messages seem to come up together:

Load Profile Updated to Pass for Base Radio MAC: d8:24:bd:08:b6:10 and slotNo: 1

Load Profile Failed for Base Radio MAC: d8:24:bd:2f:f6:40 and slotNo: 1

What would cause this? This message happens quite often, so we would like to know how to stop it.

Here is a few photos I took of the configuration for the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cisco WLC Help

If you are ok knowing you have distance and that some clients will be outside of -80dBm then yes why not disable it. As for the profile fail see attached pix. It means the AP failed one of these thresholds and it flagged it ... Which one I dont know. You would need to research it further. Perhaps look at the AP in question on the WLC. But this will give you an idea what to look for.

Example it is set to 12 clients per AP. Client 13 will flag it .. Make sense? Client should still attach and you shouldn't see any issues outside of the alert ..

If you find this helpful please support the rating system and mark the questions as answered to help others during their search.

Thanks

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
17 REPLIES

This is normal if a client is at the edge. You can change these settings if you like. Attached is a screen shot where these values are driven from ... Its under WIRELESS-- Then select the 802.11g or 802.11a network and then coverage.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Cisco WLC Help

Great! Would you recommend changing that on all the WAPs?. Any ideas what could be causing the Profile pass/fail message?

If you are ok knowing you have distance and that some clients will be outside of -80dBm then yes why not disable it. As for the profile fail see attached pix. It means the AP failed one of these thresholds and it flagged it ... Which one I dont know. You would need to research it further. Perhaps look at the AP in question on the WLC. But this will give you an idea what to look for.

Example it is set to 12 clients per AP. Client 13 will flag it .. Make sense? Client should still attach and you shouldn't see any issues outside of the alert ..

If you find this helpful please support the rating system and mark the questions as answered to help others during their search.

Thanks

BTW -- This is a WLC config not a AP config.

Thanks for the ratings!

Silver

Piggy backing on George I personally ignore that alarm all the time and like it disabled. A coverage hole detection alarm depends on the client to be seen at poor RSSI levels as George showed in the attachments. This could be due to any number of reasons including a sticky client that doesn't want to roam. If you know the limits of your network then disable it and don't look back.

Load profile on the other hand I try to get the values close to what I consider acceptable on my infrastructure and I do like to be alerted on those alarms.

Cisco WLC Help

Thank you George! That client value was set to 12 like in the photo, is there any harm in putting it up to 75? There are quite a few students in the school that could be using any one WAP at one time.

Another message that just popped up is to do with "Interference Profile", which is set to 10 on that same "Profile Threshold For Traps" page. What would you guys recommend setting that to? Or just leave it and keep an eye on the messages? I'm a bit of a novice!! Thank you again

Cisco WLC Help

You can move that client number to anything you like. It doesnt mean that ONLY 12 can connect. Rather it means that anything after 12 it will throw you the alert message. Make sense?

I ignore the interference profile to be honest. I think its to sensitive at 10, thats just my 2 cents.

Cisco WLC Help

Makes perfect sense! Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the help

Cisco WLC Help

yup -- stop back if you have any other questions...

Cisco WLC Help

Actually, one thing I would like to ask while I'm thinking about it is how should I deal with "Rogue APs"? Currently there are 11 Rogue APs that the WLC is listing, all showing an SSID of "Unknown", what is the best thing to do with them?

Cisco WLC Help

Best to hunt them down and determine if they are friendly or foe and then categorize them accordingly. I would caution you if you plan to use rogue containment. There could be legal ramifications if you contain a neighbor's access point.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

In addition to George's post, I found another way to *cough*, *cough* a Rogue WAP in your network.

We found a Rogue WAP and it's plugged into our network so we went over and "politely" asked the owner to take it down.  He escalated to his manager and we got word from the powers-that-be that we are to leave the WAP alone.

I was not happy with the ways rules are broken so I just ensured that the WAP goes to the WRONG VLAN.

Message was edited by: Leo Laohoo

WAP ??? Whats a WAP ? LOL

Silver

+5 for that George!

Cisco WLC Help

HAHAHA you like that !?

Leo Leo Leo .... We love you man ...

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Cisco WLC Help

LOL

Views
Helpful
Replies