Views
Helpful
Replies

Cleanair Radio monitoring rapid update

theophile
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

We bought two cleanair APs to install in a difficult environment. I've some questions regarding the Radio monitoring rapid update page on the wlc.

- If I look at the legend next to the graph named 'non-wifi channel utilization', i've something called 'Wifi AOCI'. I've done some search but could not fin documents explaining what it is. Could someone explain to me what it's related to?

- Another point, on this graph, I've a lot of unclassified utilization, does it mean that the cleanair AP does not know the signature of this interference? Does someone know what it could be?

- Last point, on the WCS, I cannot see the Worst interferers graphs under the Cleanair tab. It's saying I need to have a MSE licence; But as I can see these interference devices on the wlc, is there any way to see the same on the wcs? Do I really need the MSE?

Thanks again for your help

Theo

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

- If I look at the legend next to the graph named 'non-wifi channel utilization', i've something called 'Wifi AOCI'. I've done some search but could not fin documents explaining what it is. Could someone explain to me what it's related to?

Note: In the context of spectrum reporting, Air Quality represents interference from non-Wi-Fi sources and Wi-Fi sources not detectable by a Wi-Fi AP during normal operation (for example, old 802.11 frequency hopper devices, altered 802.11 devices, Adjacent overlapping Channel Interference, etc). Information about Wi-Fi based interference is collected and reported on by the AP using the Wi-Fi chip. A Local mode AP collects AQ information for the current serving channel(s). A Monitor Mode AP collects information for all channels configured under scan options. The standard CUWN settings of Country, DCA, and All channels is supported. When an AQ report is received, the Controller performs required processing and store it in the AQ database.

- Another point, on this graph, I've a lot of unclassified utilization, does it mean that the cleanair AP does not know the signature of this interference? Does someone know what it could be?

You would have to wait for updates as I beleive you can't just install these signatures.

- Last point, on the WCS, I cannot see the Worst interferers graphs under the Cleanair tab. It's saying I need to have a MSE licence; But as I can see these interference devices on the wlc, is there any way to see the same on the wcs? Do I really need the MSE?

The MSE is your "Storage" in a way and that is how the WCS obtains data from the past.  The WLC doesn't store this information.  YOu can see it until it gets truncated.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott, you're always the first to answer to me

Do you know how long the data is retained until the wcs truncates? By the way, i'm connected to the wcs, and The 082.11b/g/n interference count graph is blank, and under the worst 802.11b/g/n interferers part, i've:

'This components requires a Cisco Mobility Services Engine to display any data. WCS is not currently licensed to support an MSE. Please visit ... blablabla'

I think from the previous that an MSE is mandatory here.

For example, in my case, if I look at the air quality graph on the wcs, this morning the index has fallen to 41 which is pretty low. But I will not be able to retrieve at the specific date/time who was interfering my radio network? Am I right? Even on the wlc?

Thanks again

Correct... you will need an MSE to see any past data.  The WLC will only show real time data or at least until it is truncated from all the other blah blah blah  I don't know how long WCS keeps data, but I would not think it would be that long or past an hour maybe.  Just depends on how many messages are being generated.  That is the good thing about having an MSE, is that you can baseline your environment and then run reports every so often if you wish.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Peter Setaffy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Some explanation.

Adjacent Off Channel Interference (AOCI)—This is interference from a Wi-Fi device that is not on the reporting operating channel, but is overlapping the channel space. For channel 6, the report would identify interference attributable to an AP on channels 4, 5, 7, and 8.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/112139-cleanair-uwn-guide-00.html

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card