Views
Helpful
Replies

Client hang when using enable radio management support

steven_chan
Level 1
Level 1

WLC version 5.0.148.0

When the client (mainly XP SP2) using IntelProSet connects to the wifi, the client hangs and requires power down. The radio management support has been enabled for sometime and the problem just happened from few weeks ago. No configuration change in WLC and the Wintel team says there was no patch installed.

If the radio management support is disabled, there is no hanging issue.

The clients should be mainly of CCXv2 or below.

Please help. Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

sabhasin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "enabling radio management"?

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

So Intel's troubleshooting document says that you need to turn off Radio Management from the Access Point (but it does not say what to do from here). So it sounds like they say to just turn it off to resolve your problem.

My question however, when you say with radio management off, the problem goes away. So are you turning radio management off from the client level or are you turning it off from the controller?

Also, is it every client that has a problem? Or every Intel Client? Or is it every client with CCX turned on, or every Intel client with CCX on?

Or is it by chance, just one client that happens to have its CCX setting different that other clients?

Long story short, not that I've had this problem before, but when I called TAC on other radio feature problems before, they've always said one of two things: 1) Upgrade the client drivers. 2) disable the feature.

(or maybe it is a real bug).

So if you really need CCX radio management and the problem is effecting all of the clients, it may be time to open a TAC bug report.

"enabling radio management" means to check the "enable radio management support" option in the Intel ProSet client. All the settings here are talking about client side.

Not every client nor every Intel Client has problem.

I checked that the client hangs not because of "enable radio management support" but enable CCX (again on client side).

Anyway, one has to enable CCX in order to enable radio management support. Otherwise, the enable radio management support checkbox will be greyed out.

And for the client with problem, it comes with Intel wireless module but not the Dell one mentioned in http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr46/pr147/partners_pgm_partners_0900aecd800c1a1e.html

I don't know which CCX version it is. It is using latest Intel ProSet and driver version.

I do have some other Dell notebooks (totally different model, driver and Intel Proset version) using Intel wireless module and not suffer from the CCX issue. I think it is just naming issue in the CCX compatibility table, the wireless module is equivalent in some sense.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card