Views
Helpful
Replies

Client to client broadcasts 2504 Wireless Controller

ishmael21
Level 1
Level 1

Synopsis:

I'm having an issue at a company I help support with clients on wireless not being able to see broadcasts of other clients on the wireless.  There is a physical device called an "MVCI" that connects to wireless along with a laptop which is also on wireless.  The laptop runs software which sends broadcasts out, UDP on port 60000.

Network infrastructure information:

1) The AP's are 1131AG's, the controller is a 2504 running firmware 7.6.120.0.  

2) The wireless network and the LAN are on the same network.

3) Global multicast mode is enabled, IGMP snooping is enabled, MLD snooping is enabled, the multicast network under Controller\General is 239.2.2.1, broadcast forwarding is enabled, and the default-mdns-profile is added on the interface for wireless clients and added/enabled on the WLAN.

Problem details:

Another laptop connected on wireless doesn't see the broadcasts from the original laptop (also on wireless) running the MVCI device discovery software.  The laptop running the software does show its broadcasts for UDP 60000 in wireshark.  When the MVCI is connected to the network with an ethernet cable (gets IP address in same network as wireless clients) the laptop can discover it, and the broadcasts do show up in wireshark on a computer that is hardwired.  So wireless to wired broadcasts are working with broadcast forwarding enabled.

Unfortunately I can't hardwire the laptop and use the MVCI on wireless to test hardwired to wireless since the discovery software errors if the laptop isn't on wireless.

Question:

I know broadcasts being sent out over wireless isn't ideal but I do need it on at least the AP these devices connect to.  Is it possible to enable broadcasts for wireless to wireless devices on the Cisco WLC either for a single AP that is joined, or all APs?

Thanks for any advice.

4 Replies 4

This is default behaviour where AP/WLC will not sent wireless broadcast coming from a client to other wireless client or wired interfaces. Refer this for detail

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/emob73dg/emob73/ch2_Arch.html#wp1058225

You can change this behaviour using below command in CLI or GUI (controller -> General -> Broadcast forwarding)

config network broadcast {enable | disable}

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Broadcast forwarding does not resolve this.  It does not enable broadcasts to go between wireless devices.

From your link:

The WLC CAPWAP split MAC method treats broadcast traffic differently, as shown in Figure 2-14. In this case, when a broadcast packet is sent by a client, the AP/WLC does not forward it back out the WLAN, and only a subset of all possible broadcast messages are forwarded out a given WLAN's wired interface at the WLC

hi ishmael21

i have same issue in my network 

in school environment with radix software i don't have broadcast between clients connected to  wireless APs with cisco 2504 WLC  and student device can't discover the teacher device 

i try to enable broadcast forwarding but does not resolve it 

when i connect it to wired network its ok 

what i should do ? 

Do you have any updates on this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: