cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Client Utilities for PocketPC 2002

jeff
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if Cisco plans (in the very near future) to update the Aironet Client Utility for Windows CE/PocketPC 2002 to include the following: Signal Strength in dBm, Noise Level in dBm, and Signal-to-Noise Ratio. I am now working for a wireless networking company, and I am considering purchasing a PocketPC device to simplify site surveying (especially in 200,000+ square foot facilities). Any information would be of great help.

Jeffrey Jones

jonesj@netcomitl.com

3 Replies 3

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

My Cisco rep said it’s on the wish list but not on the drawing board yet. Besides, Due to limited battery life of Pocket PC units, they’re not ideal for surveys. You can file an enhancement request through your Cisco office.

You can easily make (or buy) external battery packs for PPCs.

The issue I've found using them for surveys is that I see different SNR values using them than I do with laptops. I prefer to test with whatever the end users think they are going to use.

A Casio MPC-202 might be better.

mark
Level 1
Level 1

I too would like to see RF-style (dBm, SNR, etc.) readouts in the PDA software. I use the Compaq iPAQ for site surveys. We're just completing a 300K sq. feet building. It sure beats lugging around a laptop.

Make sure you use the FAST PSP power save mode when you use PDAs... It sure helps whith the battery life.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card